Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

My harmonic damper broke off today! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 1500p\u 2wd
Engine: 91 z28 tpi 355
Transmission: 91 700r4
My harmonic damper broke off today! HELP!

So i have been working on my truck for the past few weeks gettin it back together "built a new trans cross-member" and took it for a lil drive today. I got on it a lil bit to open it up and play around but nothin out of the norm. I was pullin into my driveway and herd a funny noise like a sqeeking/crapping noise "oh ****" so i shut it off and as soon as i turned it off i herd a loud clunk. I felt sick thinkin i had a brokin piston ring or somthing like that. I got it back up on jack stands and went under to take a look. Not seeing anythin i disided to try and crank the motor over by hand. As soon is i started to crank the motor my hand hit the damper and it was just layin on the crank pulley. The heavy metal ring is totally off the motor and just resting on the pulley!! i remember about this time last year i was settin the timming and for the life of my i could not find the marks on the damper. No matter how adv. or ret. i went i could not see anythin. People said i may have a spun damper.... Anyways i hope i have not hurt anythin else! How bad is it replacing a damper and what brand should i get? I just got a SR and was excited about doin the swap, now this! Its always somthing!
Old 02-19-2010, 03:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: LS1
Transmission: LS1 T56
Axle/Gears: Richmond 3.73
Re: My harmonic damper broke off today! HELP!

not 3rd gen but i have had this happen lol, just get a stocker from autozone and call it a day. (unless you feel like shelling out for a performance damper) Undo the belt, take the pulley off, take the big middle bolt off, get a damper puller (again autozone rents these for free) and take whats left of the damper off. Use a mallet to hit the new damper on, put the middle bolt back in and tighten it to like 70-80ftlbs, reinstall the pulley and belt.
done.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When the timing mark doesn't line up properly with the timing tab (can't set initial timing correctly) that's a good sign that the rubber ring between the inner and outer part of the dampener is shot and it's failure is imminent.

In all likelyhood, you didn't do any real damage yet, and certainly you caught it right at the point of catastrophic failure. I'd replace it and keep running it. Not a situation where I'd go straight to a full rebuild.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:58 PM

should i try turning the motor over by hand a few times to make sure everyting seems to feel smooth and make sure nothin broke inside? Is it ok to turn the motor over with a broken damper? just dont want to replace the damper then go to start it only to findout i broke the crank or somethin
Old 02-19-2010, 02:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 94 Camaro
Engine: 3.5 turbo
Transmission: Performabuilt 4l60E
Axle/Gears: Strange rear, 3.42

It's also a good time to replace the front seal. Check your shaft key also should be replaced. I would recommend a good quality balancer. I tried going cheap with mine and bought a Dorman balancer the spokes for the crank position sensor was pressed in crooked and was hitting the sensor.
Sent it back and got an ac delco.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:51 PM

whats a shaft key? also do i need to drain the oil befor i replace the seal? never really messed with this part of the motor other then installing my march UD pulleys a few years back.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 94 Camaro
Engine: 3.5 turbo
Transmission: Performabuilt 4l60E
Axle/Gears: Strange rear, 3.42

Originally Posted by 355tpipickup
whats a shaft key? also do i need to drain the oil befor i replace the seal? never really messed with this part of the motor other then installing my march UD pulleys a few years back.
There's a key way on the shaft and the balancer which is held together with a key which keeps everything oriented. Should come with the new balancer.
I didn't drain the oil in my car. With the car jacked up in the front you should be ok. It's also recommended that you replace the balancer bolt.