Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

cruise control doesnt work right

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Chevy truck
Engine: supercharged 355 tbi
Transmission: NV4500 manual
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt w/4.56 and detroit locker
cruise control doesnt work right

my cruise control has always worked very well but after i swapped my automatic trans for a manual its just not the same, infact it kind of scary.

heres what it does, i just got on the highway, im in 5th gear and its the first time i go to use the cruise control. seems to work great, untill i go uphill and realize that it is holding my throttle position but not compensating for the hill, i loose 5mph going up the hill and it does nothing about it. ok, no big deal, it may not work 100% but atleast it hold the throttle so i dont have to. then i tap the brake pedal and it doesnt disengage, in a panic i manually turn it off and it goes off. i reach to use it again and depending on its mood it may or may not work again, if it does work it may not let me use the speed p feature which normally works. normally it simply will not work after the first few times i turn it off. if it decides not to work, its not a blown fuse becasue the next day its back in business again and ready to do the same thing all over, work for a little while and then stop working.

i dont know what it is, does the cruise controll module need input from the trans for tcc lockup and things like that? all the functions associated with an automatic trans have been removed from my ecm in its tune.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1986 Irocz
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.25:1
Re: cruise control doesnt work right

Originally Posted by chevy1500z71
i dont know what it is, does the cruise controll module need input from the trans for tcc lockup and things like that? all the functions associated with an automatic trans have been removed from my ecm in its tune.
No, the cruise function is separate. It doesn't surprise me that it has some problems because there is a limit to how much throttle the cruise can apply, but now with your manual trans there is no gear kick-down.
You may not be able to check or adjust the gain on the cruise unit but you may be able to take some slop (if any) in the linkage control.
Make sure the vacuum ball (reservoir) is not leaking, and that the unit is getting good signal from your VSS.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Chevy truck
Engine: supercharged 355 tbi
Transmission: NV4500 manual
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt w/4.56 and detroit locker
Re: cruise control doesnt work right

Originally Posted by 305sbc
No, the cruise function is separate. It doesn't surprise me that it has some problems because there is a limit to how much throttle the cruise can apply, but now with your manual trans there is no gear kick-down.
You may not be able to check or adjust the gain on the cruise unit but you may be able to take some slop (if any) in the linkage control.
Make sure the vacuum ball (reservoir) is not leaking, and that the unit is getting good signal from your VSS.
the cruise has always been able to give it enough throttle, infact it normally goes too much and ends up putting me under boost when i hit the accelerate button which is probably why iv never had the cruise control have to kick down the auto trans before, becasue it has plenty of power to accelerate p hill without having to drop a gear.

but, when you mention throttle linkage it hits me, i know why it doesnt work and i fell like a fool for not realizing. i had some issues with my throttle body, the throttle shaft was loose and i needed to get the truck on the road while i save for a nice ball bearing tbi. anyway, long story short i used door pin bushings to repair the loose throttle shaft (i know... ) but it stuck a little, which is not safe, so i "adjusted" the spring on the throttle body for added measure, the pedal is hard as hell to push, really hard to push. the cruise control is getting a workout trying to pull it i bet, it probably goes till its all tuckered out and then it gives up. i just hope i didnt damage it... darn im a fool lol.