Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

accel control module took a dump, which one to replace with it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears
accel control module took a dump, which one to replace with it?

had the accel control module die on me for no reason last nite. thankfully i had a old stock "standard" control module laying around. i replaced it and the thing started right up.
this is the one that died
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACC-35362/

I'm not going with accel this time i was thinking pertronix? are they any good?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PNX-D2002/

other upgrades include MSD blaster coil, MSD cap and coil, mallory wires, accel plugs. stock distributer.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Re: accel control module took a dump, which one to replace with it?

how are these and why are they more expensive.

mallory 62$
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-612/

AC delco 66$
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACF-19179578/

Standard 83$?!? WTF why is this more than all the others?!
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SMP-LX340/
Old 01-23-2010, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Berlinetta,work in progress
Engine: 468 BB,still in the build process
Transmission: TH350,3500 stall
Axle/Gears: 9" Ford,learning how to live under

MSD IMO makes the best performance parts for the HEI,hands down.Module included.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

i dnt want to replace the entire distributer lol. just the control module. the distributer is essentially upgraded to aftermarket status, only limitation is that the distributer is cast and not billet.

MSD doesnt have a stock replacement type control module. i just posted all the ones that are available for a stock type setup. stock type parts are great bc of the abilty to get parts fast if needed. like from autozone etc. i cant pick up a cap/rotor for an aftermarket MSD distributer if i get jammed, id have to order from summit.

with that said i like MSD, i have there coil/cap/rotor and if they had a control module i would replace it with one.

anyone else have an opinion?
Old 01-24-2010, 08:04 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 7.5 inch 342

I use Mallory because two guys I know had their Accell go bad at the same time.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

how long u been running it? im not sure why the mallory one is 62$ vs the accel/pertronix is only 45$. but then again the AC delco and standard motor products are even more! wattt the crapp!

i guess what i need is a better than stock, my engine revs extremely fast due to the HSR and when i shift this thing at the track it will be in the 5500-6000 range. so i need a control module that can handle that with the upgrades ive stated. mallory really doesnt say much about there module on summit. just says OE replacement which doesnt sell me
Old 01-24-2010, 10:19 PM

Only a year,Made 462 HP on dyno
Old 01-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

at what RPM? in a 355? niceeee.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:18 AM

6000 RPM
Old 01-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

thats what im lookin for. i still want more responses from different ppl. my accell lasted about 2-3yrs. so yours has been on a yr and thats not long enough to be a decision maker for me. thanks for your input tho.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

no one else!?! lol comeee onnn someone has had to upgrade there module. no way everyone is running around with 20yrold ACDELCO control modules lol
Old 01-26-2010, 07:18 PM

Received 225 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by customblackbird
no way everyone is running around with 20yrold ACDELCO control modules lol
I am. I use OEM GM junkyard pull modules before an after market ignition module.

Otherwise get the AC Delco module from Summit or a dealer. Use real heat sink grease under it (the white stuff, not the dielectric grease).

RBob.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:27 PM

I was told the other by my parts rep. that ACDelco out sources all their parts and are made by the lowest bidder. If I were to buy a stock module I would try a Standard Ignition unit.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

thats prob why the standard product costs the most!

well i had the white goop on the Accel one. im assuming the modules come with it. is there a place to get an extra tube?

has anyone heard anything of this dyna-mod module?
http://www.performancedistributors.com/modules.htm
Old 01-27-2010, 04:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RBob
I am. I use OEM GM junkyard pull modules before an after market ignition module.

Otherwise get the AC Delco module from Summit or a dealer. Use real heat sink grease under it (the white stuff, not the dielectric grease).

RBob.
I'm with RBob on this one. There's been multiple posts over the years on here regarding which module is the best choice, and the overwhelming response is usually to go with the original AC Delco one. Accel modules are complete garbage, you couldn't pay me to run one of those. You basically answered your own question when you asked if people are seriously still running their original after 20 plus years. The fact is, alot of them ARE still running the original! Mine lasted about 18 years before it died. I couldn't swallow the price for another original AC Delco module either, so I bought the cheapie one made by Wells. I noticed the car didn't run as good with it, and I also found out it uses aluminum guts instead of copper. I ended up doing the same thing as RBob. Went to the junkyard and grabbed an original for free. The car ran better with it. I put the Wells one in my storage box in the hatch just in case the original one happens to die on me in an inconvenient place. Been running on the junkyard one now for the last 3 or 4 years. If you insist on getting a brand new one, I'd have to agree with Bassett, Standard Ignition usually makes good quality stuff. Nowadays it's hard to tell what brand is really worth a damn anymore with China and Taiwan buying up every brand that has a reputable name!

Last edited by Pat Hall; 01-27-2010 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:49 AM

Received 225 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by customblackbird
Well I had the white goop on the Accel one. I'm assuming the modules come with it. Is there a place to get an extra tube?
Radio shack carries it in a small (little!) tube:

Heat Sink Grease (6g) Catalog #: 276-1372

RBob.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

i guess what im really worried about is consistent coil charging and high RPM spark. running on a junkyard control module is not an option for me. i dnt like running around with the standard one in it right now that has been off for a few yrs. im waiting to be stranded. i might be going with the dyna mod one. any reviews? my car will see 5000-6000rpm shifts... not all the time but i cant have spark issues up that high. i also need my coil to charge since its a MSD blaster coil.

thanks RBob... thats awsome! i will def pick up some. lol how small is 6grams anywhat lol
Old 01-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by RBob
Radio shack carries it in a small (little!) tube:

Heat Sink Grease (6g) Catalog #: 276-1372

RBob.
in response to RBob, found this while searching the dyna module on here.
Originally Posted by Tremo

The advice above about using the thermal compound grease between the module and mounting surface is good, take it VERY seriously. Clean off any and all crap/dirt/whatever that will cause even the slightest air gap between the baseplate of the module and the mounting surface. Use rubbing alcohol to clean off the module baseplate and the mounting surface in the disty. Then apply a THIN layer of the thermally conductive grease to the bottom of the module (use a toothpick or razor blade to spread it) and put it down snug. The regular thermal grease that Rat Shack sells sux. The best thermal grease is the stuff used by the overclocker computer nerds between their CPUs and the heatsink, it's loaded with silver. I think the stuff is called Artic Silver or some such, it has much higher thermal conductivity. Keep the grease off your fingers or it gets all over everything you touch and makes a mess. The grease is not poison or dangerous in case you do get some on you, just messy as hell. And keep the grease off the electrical connections.
i just got off the phone with DUI and i ordered there dyna module and there cap/rotor kit.... might as well since the MSD stuff had some serious buildup on it for some reason after maybe 750 miles, i cleaned off the contracts but idunno why it was bad. it had a buildup of white/gray crunchy stuff. i used a flat head to scrape it all off. i believe i cleaned it before the new engine which would mean only 750miles on it, but i might not have in which case the number would be 6,000 miles about. still not alot to have the buildup i saw. maybe this is what happens when the modules start to go...idk

I asked DUI about opening the gaps, they said i could go from stock .034" to .045 easily. they run there complete distributers to .055" without a prob and they car basic HEI distributers with there Dyna module, cap/rotor, and coil.

I also asked if there modules came with therma grease (white stuff) he said no, they came with regular dielectric grease. i asked him why and he stated no need for it, basically same stuff. lol.

now that ive heard the radio shack stuff sucks... where do it get the therma grease?

edit:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2216879
found it at radio shack... 10$

Last edited by customblackbird; 01-28-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:52 AM

Engine: 89' 305tpi
Transmission: AX15
Axle/Gears: 4:11

:zombiethread:

I am shopping for a control module. Thanks for this thread. Great info. I was heading towards an ASSMELL module. Not now!

One thing I must say. PerformanceDistributors has THE best ignition parts ive ever ran on all my vehicles. And Pat Mcgaritty is my go to guy. He sells on ebay. PatriotPerformanceUSA.com i think.

I put their full ignition system in my YJ wrangler, and WOW! Talk about burning every last drop. You have to run platinum plugs and gap them to .065. I had to take my mustang injectors out and put my stock turds back in cause the stang injectors atomized the fuel so well, it was running lean.

I just bought their coil for my LB9, didnt even know they had the dist module till I read this thread. Sweet! More money into this project.

Also, Arctic silver is a great heat sink compound. But consult with the ignition manufacturer before using it on any ignition parts where Dielectric grease, or silicone grease are recommended.

Last edited by complete loser; 03-07-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

Beware running performance aftermarket coils, especially MSD with OE replacement ignition modules. The MSD coils are wound with lower primary resistance to produce higher primary current and are really meant to be used with MSD controllers. They will stress your OE style ignition module. When using the MSD controller, the controller takes over the task of switching the coil and handles all the current and heat produced. The primary side of the distributor simply serves as a crank referrence.

ACCEL ignition is highly unreliable. My experience with Mallory has not been much better.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

I would agree with the above statement. I also would not use the artic silver on the control module... i talked to performance distributers and they highly recomended not using the artic silver on there control modules. "they said to use the grease that comes with the module".

I used the module, cap rotor and it worked beautfully... car ran much better than with the accel module and MSD cap/rotor. However a short while after the car was stolen and they took my new motor/trans and all of the engine bay (rad etc) and most of the wiring harness!

I basically did wat ASE doc said. Im going carbed BBF and im using fords verson of a HEI with a mag pickup, using the MSD street fire box to fire and charge the MSD blaster 2 coil and just using the distrubuter as the firing pin. Best way really... that way the MSD box controls the charging and firing of the coil.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah the Accel modules are friggin junk. Nothing but snake oil. I've always used the stock GM module. They work great and last forever. At one point in time I bought a Wells brand module since it was cheaper, and my car didn't seem to run as good with it. I didn't have the cash for a new GM one at the time, so I grabbed a used one out of a junkyard car and put that in. That was about 4 years ago and it's still working great! I put the Wells one in my console box for a spare in case of emergency. A lot of guys insist on using some kind of silver heat sink compound, but all I've ever done is put a good coat of dielectric tune-up grease on the base of the module and I haven't had a heat-related failure on one yet. My car's original GM module lasted 17 years before it died. Most guys I've talked to that went with an Accel one have said it died within one to two years!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:43 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
I used my 7-pin Accel module for 11 years without a problem. I sold the distributor to a fellow TGO member when I put the LS1 in, I never heard he had a problem with it, either.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Supreme Member

Hello Mr customblackbird, Now I remember where I recognized the name. I think we met on your thread:"looking for a hood to fit my huge f-ing BBF"
Old 03-07-2011, 11:28 PM

As far as 'Dielectric grease' or 'heatsink compound' here it is, direct from the owner of Performance Distributors.

""I think various companies use varying terms. We say "dielectric grease" or "electrical dielectric grease."

The AC Delco packages have always read "silicone grease" and they are the ones that invented the HEI.""

Im gonna go back up and edit my post.

Dielectric grease is an insulator.
Where as 'heat sink compound' is a thermo conductor.

But, 'silicone grease' can be both (depending on how formulated). It can be a dielectric grease containing silver (or aluminum, or whatever) to help thermo dissipation.

I reckon these fellers know what they are doin.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by five7kid
I used my 7-pin Accel module for 11 years without a problem. I sold the distributor to a fellow TGO member when I put the LS1 in, I never heard he had a problem with it, either.
Well, there's always exceptions to the general rule of thumb. But honestly, just about everything ignition related that Accel offers is usually junk. I remember years ago I bought a couple of sets of their "Super Stock" spark plug wires, and each set burnt out and went to pot within a year. Bought a set of Moroso "Blue Max" wires after dealing with Accel's garbage, and I'm still using the same wires 15 years later! The motor I built about a year ago, I bought a cheapo set of performance wires from Skip White on Ebay and they've worked flawless so far. Point being, why gamble with Accel junk when the original GM modules have been proven time and again to work great?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pat Hall
Well, there's always exceptions to the general rule of thumb. But honestly, just about everything ignition related that Accel offers is usually junk. I remember years ago I bought a couple of sets of their "Super Stock" spark plug wires, and each set burnt out and went to pot within a year. Bought a set of Moroso "Blue Max" wires after dealing with Accel's garbage, and I'm still using the same wires 15 years later! The motor I built about a year ago, I bought a cheapo set of performance wires from Skip White on Ebay and they've worked flawless so far. Point being, why gamble with Accel junk when the original GM modules have been proven time and again to work great?
Yup. Its not a matter of EVERY SINGLE PART of ACCEL's being junk. Its the lack of quality control that usually brings in these types of stories. You will get people trending away from a product because its not performing up to its past or claims. But every once in a while, you will get someone who has used said part for 15yrs with no problems. That part most likely was the one that day (out of 5000 units) that went through the quality control.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Supreme Member

I generally steer customers away from ACCEL because Ive had so many of their coils, ignition modules and injectors come back with problems. My IROC beasty was originally built with an array of ACCEL parts. ACCEL DFI, ACCEL Billettech distributor, and ACCEL 300+ignition. I found that the quality of the DFI harness, as well as the 300+ harness, was very good. The 300+ left me after a few years. I replaced it with an MSD digital 6. The Billettech Dist and DFI still function perfectly after 12 years.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:49 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 355, 6.0 (LQ4) soon
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 2.77 for now

I won't use any aftermarket ignition parts in my car again. Used an Accel coil and it died a year later, had a MSD coil and that lasted just as long. Bought a coil at a junkyard and I'm still using it 4 years later. With the ICM, I use the one with a lifetime warranty from Autozone and carry a spare A/C Delco in the console as insurance, but I've never had to replace the ICM after the original went out, knock on wood. I've lost my trust in Accel and MSD
Old 03-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Supreme Member

It's unfortunate that you no longer trust MSD. their products really are quite good. If you'd called then and told them about your failed coil, they would have probably sent you 2 for free. Our high performance engines with their high density combustion charges really benefit from the high spark energy and multiple sparks generated by the MSD modules.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:08 AM
Supreme Member

Yeah the only Accel part on my motor is actually a pretty big, significant piece. I'm running a Super Ram intake setup. As far as casting an intake assembly, their quality seems to be pretty good, but I avoid anything electrical from them. I noticed someone above mention their injectors. That's another part they offer that's usually junk!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Supreme Member

The Superram as well as the original ACCEL DFI was designed by John Lingenfelter and built in accordance with his specifications. Lingenfelter is kind of a no nonsense type of guy. That may explain why these systems seem to be superior to other ACCEL offerings. One thing to note about ACCEL is that about 1998, they were purchased by MR. Gasket. Anyone familiar with Mr. Gasket's products knows their attitude towards quality.

One thing I have to say though. If you check out ACCEL DFI on the web. You'll find what appear to be some pretty serious companies installing the new GEN 7 and GEN 8 systems. It makes me wonder if maybe they're not so bad. Still, after my disappointing experience with the 300+, I'll think twice about ACCEL in the future. Good luck with your Superram.

Oh my. I always have to pause anytime I think negatively about ACCEL. I do rely after all on their GEN 6 DFI and Billettech. It's good stuff man!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 IROC Z
Engine: 5.7 L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4,2500 stall
Axle/Gears: G80,10 bolt 3.42's

It's unfortunate that you no longer trust MSD. their products really are quite good. If you'd called then and told them about your failed coil, they would have probably sent you 2 for free. Our high performance engines with their high density combustion charges really benefit from the high spark energy and multiple sparks generated by the MSD modules.
Ive had issue with 2 msd coils going out on me,lasting less than a year each.I called MSD and they said to send them in and they would fix them.Shipping at my cost and repair at my cost.They came back in the mail 3 weeks later with a sticker wrapped around them saying unrepairable.Will not buy another MSD coil.Each time I would put my stock coil back on and it has performed perfectly.

I`m not saying all their products are bad.I`ve been running a digital6 for 5 or 6 years with no issues.

Last edited by Shadygrady; 03-11-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 IROC Z
Engine: 5.7 L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4,2500 stall
Axle/Gears: G80,10 bolt 3.42's

I think someone mentioned D.U.I.I am strongly considering their distributor and coil.Have heard nothing but good about them.A board member and friend of mine runs a D.U.I. setup on his carbed Monte Carlo SS and loves it.He said it was a noticeable difference to his car in several ways.

http://www.performancedistributors.com/coils.htm
Old 03-11-2011, 11:31 PM

Old 03-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Supreme Member

DUI is a good company. Started out as just a guy who did upgrades on HEI distributors. Their claim to fame is an HEI that produces solid spark to 10,000 rpm. I think they only do a large body(internal coil) HEI.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by ASE doc
DUI is a good company. Started out as just a guy who did upgrades on HEI distributors. Their claim to fame is an HEI that produces solid spark to 10,000 rpm. I think they only do a large body(internal coil) HEI.
Nope. They cover alot of external coils. Got one on my jeep, and just ordered one for my TPI.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ASE doc
The Superram as well as the original ACCEL DFI was designed by John Lingenfelter and built in accordance with his specifications. Lingenfelter is kind of a no nonsense type of guy. That may explain why these systems seem to be superior to other ACCEL offerings. One thing to note about ACCEL is that about 1998, they were purchased by MR. Gasket. Anyone familiar with Mr. Gasket's products knows their attitude towards quality.

One thing I have to say though. If you check out ACCEL DFI on the web. You'll find what appear to be some pretty serious companies installing the new GEN 7 and GEN 8 systems. It makes me wonder if maybe they're not so bad. Still, after my disappointing experience with the 300+, I'll think twice about ACCEL in the future. Good luck with your Superram.

Oh my. I always have to pause anytime I think negatively about ACCEL. I do rely after all on their GEN 6 DFI and Billettech. It's good stuff man!
I have to agree ASE doc. I think Lingenfelter's involvement is probably the only reason the Superram turned out decently. Granted, it's a PITA to put together, but I've been so happy with the performance that the hassle of assembling it is worth the trouble! As far as Mr. Gasket goes, yeah I made the mistake of buying a Hays clutch after Mr. G took over that company in the 80's and it was nothing but junk. Replaced it with a Ram clutch and couldn't be happier.