Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

chirping noise/odd SES light occurances

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010 | 01:12 AM

chirping noise/odd SES light occurances

Hello I own an '87 firebird with the 2.8L that has been completely rebuilt. However for the past month or so it makes a really annoying squeaking sound that seems like its coming from the alternator. I started noticing it after driving in the rain puddles would splash up and it would squeak really loud for a couple of seconds and my interior lights would dim while it was squeaking; now its just a constant chirping sound that I can't figure out.

Also I just finished the rebuild of the motor with the new egr valve and after installing it my SES light comes on at odd times like after driving through residential areas going 25 for an extended period of time or sometimes on the highway but not as often.. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Joe
Old 01-20-2010 | 02:19 PM
Supreme Member

Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
The Car Doctor Will See You Now

You can use a funnel and rubber tubing as a stethoscope.

Make sure you stay away from moving parts.

That will help locate the source of the chirping.

Happy Racing!

If People Drove Any Slower They’d Be Going Backwards

When you see fog lights on in good weather beware. Low performance driver ahead.

How bout those nitwits too scared to drive without headlights in the daytime, and the nitwits that need headlights for a little rain

Old 01-20-2010 | 10:28 PM

Car: 90 RS
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:23
Re: The Car Doctor Will See You Now

Belts? Spritz them with WD-40 and see if the sound stops.
Old 01-21-2010 | 04:47 PM

So I noticed the serpentine belt was really lose fitting but I had disreguarded it before because i changed the tensioner and belt before. i ended up getting a belt that was 1 1/2" smaller than the one that was on there and it seems to have cleared up all of the chirping sounds for now.

Theres still the question of the SES light coming on. after sitting at idol for an extended period of time it comes on once i accelerate up to 25mph or so and it also does it after i've been driving at slow speeds for an extended period of time. The light goes off if i turn the car off and start it again but its frustrating me that it comes on to begin with. the only thing i can relate it to is recently changing the EGR valve. im stumped
Old 01-21-2010 | 08:29 PM

may bea simple o2 sensor? get it scanned and get the code number. most shops will scan ur car for free
Old 01-21-2010 | 09:07 PM

its new, everything is new. the light wasnt coming on at all until after i changed the egr valve.