Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Engine rebuild... Mechanic BS

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: BMW 330i ///M Sport
Engine: M54 DOHC I6
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Stock
Engine rebuild... Mechanic BS

I've been looking around for a place locally to rebuild my 305tbi. I want a stock rebuild. A lot of them are hasseling me about keeping it stock. They think it's "stupid". Today I was told by a mechanic that I need to bore it .30 over, the rings from engine wear would be too deep. He told me 305's are garbage motors and wear worse than 350's. I didn't say anything but I knew that was bull****. I didn't waste my breath and told him I didn't want a 350 and walked. My question is, how much boring is my 305 going to require to get rid of the ridges? Hopefully not .30 over. The engine has 129k on it. I suspect it was beat on by it's previous owners, and I haven't been the nicest to it. It has a lifter tick, and will sooner or later need a water pump and other repairs I'm sure, so it's cheapest for me to bit the bullet now and rebuild it. My other question is, is there a break-in period for a rebuilt motor?

I'm getting quotes around $1,500 does that seem right?
Old 01-17-2010, 11:35 PM

Car: 86 transam,700r4,4 wheel disc,possi
Engine: 305 tpi/stock for now
Axle/Gears: not sure
Re: Engine rebuild... Mechanic BS

it would be cheapest to just buy a long block, from a parts store, already rebuuilt, unless you know how and have the tools to rebuild it yourself. yes there is a break in period of 500 miles for a street motor.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:47 PM

Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: 305 4bbl
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3:52

dude mad props on keeping the car original i to have a 305 and i intend to keep it that way to i have done research and the easiest way to do that is to take a cyl honer and smooth every thing out after that buy the rebuild kit and put every thing back together the car should run like new if there are deep ridges in the walls then you can take it to a machine shop somewhere and they can run some specs on it and tell you how much has to be taken out if its not to much then you can keep it all original but if its .30 over then you are probably going to have to get another block.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:49 PM

sorry i missed the last part of the question. yes there is a brake in period a good 3000 mile road trip will do the trick and keep your foot out of it other wise you just kinda defeat the purpouse.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by 87_ta_305_4bbl
dude mad props on keeping the car original i to have a 305 and i intend to keep it that way to i have done research and the easiest way to do that is to take a cyl honer and smooth every thing out after that buy the rebuild kit and put every thing back together the car should run like new if there are deep ridges in the walls then you can take it to a machine shop somewhere and they can run some specs on it and tell you how much has to be taken out if its not to much then you can keep it all original but if its .30 over then you are probably going to have to get another block.
Thanks!!! It's good to hear someone else is keeping their car at it's best... original! Sounds good, I will check into that! I'm not sure how deep the ridges are, I haven't taken the engine apart. It runs very good now, it just has a lifter tick and was pretty beaten on

I would think with the mileage being so low, it should be too bad.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:16 AM

yeah im going to get another 305 to rebuild so i can take the original motor out of mine and rebouild it so i have two good motors cause i like to have fun ever now and the if you know what i mean vroom vroom what all is done to your f bod if youdont mind me asking
Old 01-18-2010, 12:28 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS Convertible
Engine: 305 V8 TBI
Axle/Gears: 4.1

Thirty Thou ring ridge? I seriously hope that no one on here would believe that! You did the right thing by walking away. I helped a friend strip down a block (forget exactly what it was) out of one of his beater cars. The odometer read somewhere into the 400's, and he said it had been a while since it worked...there was only a few thou of ring ridge in the liners, and the main bearings were within a half a thou of new. Engine had never been opened.

Another friend of mine works on over-the-road tractor trailer units....he was telling me just recently about a truck they had in. 1.75 million kilometers (1.1 million miles) on the original engine, and you could still see the cross-hatch on the cylinder walls from when it was new.

Slightly off-topic, but I figure another "You were right" pat on the back never hurt anyone.

AR
Old 01-18-2010, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by 87_ta_305_4bbl
yeah im going to get another 305 to rebuild so i can take the original motor out of mine and rebouild it so i have two good motors cause i like to have fun ever now and the if you know what i mean vroom vroom what all is done to your f bod if youdont mind me asking
Haha wow, I people tell me I'm the only one who is having fun with a 305! Lol I think it's a blast to drive. I know exactly what you mean, I daily drove my to college and back for 7 months. It's a good 80 mile round trip, and I was doing that 4-5 times a week! Plus I had to work on weekends, and then I went cruising on the local strip. I looked forward to waking up every morning, cranking the tunes and slamming the throttle down and watching the needle race towards 70. I found on some mornings that I was enjoying the sound of my exhaust so much that I didn't even turn the music on the whole way lol. It's also kind of fun to slide it around lol. Every once in awhile I'd go outside and the guys out on smoke break would watch me walk to my car and then ask me about it lol. Gave one girl that asked a ride around the block and she was screaming the whole way lol. There was this round-about that I smashed the throttle and was completely sideways all the way around it lol. My hat flew out the window so I had to pull over

Mine is pretty stock, I have a tbichips performance chip in it, I highly recommend them, even with my foot in it, I got up to 25mpg. With my foot out of it, I saw 30 a few times, this is highway, of course. We took the cat off (it was plugged), it has the open element, cat delete, and dual Flowmaster exhaust. After I put the chip on it, I noticed a big boost in off the line acceleration. The last week I had it out, I did a little racing, I beat a 2009 Silverado, single cab, it had a 5.3 I think, got it by two cars, raced a 3.8 Mustang, smoked him by five or six, and then raced a 300C Hemi and lost by 5-6 cars, by then my tires were almost showing the laces in the back so I was spinning very badly off the line. I was dead even with him past 60 though. I love the car, if it had any more power I would be getting too many tickets, or be dead, lol

Haha I got off topic a bit

Here's some videos of it, if you are interested:
Over 11 minutes of me cruising with it on the strip!
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...eoid=101651826
The race with the 300C, I lost, but I knew I would lol. You can hear how bad I spin off the line, even babying the throttle lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgvDbxT-X3I
Some revs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJnzLDZNe2g
Probably my favorite, a start up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN8GcGZ46pw

Last edited by ThreeOhFive; 01-18-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:53 AM

Car: Pontiac

Originally Posted by J91Camaro

I'm getting quotes around $1,500 does that seem right?
Not if a stuck lifter is the only thing wrong with it.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by chesterfield
Not if a stuck lifter is the only thing wrong with it.
Yeah, but you figure it'll probably need a water pump, oil pump, all of that stuff in the future anyways, I figured it would be cheaper to just do it all now then spend thousands over years as things come up.

It runs very good, as you can see, but I am restoring the car, it's getting repainted in spring, new interior in the summer, and everything else like suspension and rear end all done in the fall. I thought having a rebuilt motor and trans would really help the me feel like I was driving a "new car".
Old 01-18-2010, 08:17 PM

Car: 91 C1500, 84 Camaro, 87 monteSS
Engine: 4.3L,Gen1 350. 391ci & 383 LS1
Transmission: t-5,man vavle body 700r4, no trans
Axle/Gears: 3:73, 3:42, 4:10

ive taking these things to .060 over with no prob. . i wouldnt recomend much if any farther though. the purpose of boring isnt to remove the ridge at the top of the cyclinders from the rings, they make a ridge reamer if thats all you needed, its to make the bores round again, after all those miles your talking about, i doubt they are perfectly round anymore, especialy if it was beat on like you say. id recomend ( if you have the time and dont need it as your daily driver) tearing it down to bear block, and taking it to the machine shop. they can tell you how far it NEEDS to be bored to have round bores again. and then rebuild with as many fresh parts(oil pump ect.) as you can afford... once you bolt that oil pan on, thats your last time to make sure everything is ok in there, and it'll help you sleep better at night knowing your freshly rebuilt motor has new parts instead of an oil pump and bearings with 129k on them, when all else in new.

"while your there"( thats my phase that kills my wallet) step a few things mildly, like a computer friendly cam such as cranes(yes, they are back in business) compu cam's. and some roller rockers. theres all sorts of things you can do to keep the stock apearance and gain a lil more of the fun factor. if it has to be bored, your gonna need a new set of pistons, so get ones that will bump the compression up, and even a lil lighter then your stock "slugs" and get a good balancing job on the rotating assy. that one will make your motor live alot longer.

just my