Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

The Magic Purple Wire That Cranked

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Camaro RS
Engine: TBI 305
Transmission: AutO
The Magic Purple Wire That Cranked

So yeah, my car wont start. Turning the key only makes lights inside go off, but no crank. I bought a new battery(duralast Gold) and still did the same. While checking for voltage (with the needle that makes noise)..we came across a puple wire witch was the starter soleniod wire. We put 12V in that wire with the needle and the car cranked. it kept cranking but it didnt turn on. could it be the soleniod? bad ignition switch? or this infamous VATS system i hear about? please help and will it cost me alot?
Old 01-09-2010, 12:37 AM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Could be VATS. Check out the tech article https://www.thirdgen.org/vats_passkey_system . Be sure to read the note under the diagram about the VATS fuse.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: The Magic Purple Wire That Cranked

I'm also thinking either VATS or the park/neutral switch. Either of those two can prevent 12V from being sent to that wire and keep it from cranking over.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 85 Camaro IROC
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: open rear, 3.42 gears

there is a yellow purple wire combo that is a neutral safety switch.
either just twist the wires together and remember not to crank the car in gear, or find a on off switch and wire it up correctly.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:16 AM
AC
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Used to drive a camaro

Check the neutral safety. I bypassed it with a appropriate fuse. Like mentioned I have to make sure its not in gear when I start it.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt 3.27 posi

If you have VATS you will have a little resistor chip on your ignition key. No chip, no VATS.

Question: If you turn the ignition key to the RUN position, and then put 12V to the solenoid terminal with the purple wire, does it start? If so, you have a switch or wiring problem. I would try that test first. Naturally, you will want to be sure that the car is in PARK or NEUTRAL with the brake on before you try this.

If the car starts, you can begin troubleshooting the starter circuit. First, put a test lamp on the solenoid terminal with the purple wire. Have someone turn the key to START. Under normal conditions, the lamp would light brightly and the car would start. In your case, either the lamp will light dimly or not at all. If the lamp is dim, check all connections between the ignition switch and the solenoid. If it doesn't light at all, follow the circuit back to the ignition switch.

If your car is AT, do the lamp test at both sides of the neutral safety switch. When the key is turned to START, you should get a bright light at both terminals. If only one side lights your test light, the problem is in the switch. If OK at the neutral switch, the problem is between the switch and the solenoid, possibly a broken wire.

If the car is MT, do the same test at your clutch safety switch. If you get nothing on either side of the switch, check to see if the lamp lights at the ignition switch itself. If not, replace the ignition switch. If you get power at the switch, the problem is between the ignition switch and the safety switch.

It's a good idea to get a wiring diagram, even though this is a fairly simple circuit. The diagram gives you information like the color of wires, and the components of the circuit and how they connect to other systems.

Last edited by ternandes; 01-09-2010 at 09:52 AM. Reason: more info