Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Accel Supercoil Vs MSD Blaster 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 12:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 334 Stroker Superram 222/230
Transmission: Full Manual 700R4 / 3k Street Edge
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Eaton, Moser, Richmond & More
Accel Supercoil Vs MSD Blaster 2

A;right guys. I'm prettyu loaded eright nopw from christmas and all so I'll make this short.

I want to upgrade the coil; on my Camaro and am having a hard time deciding bewteen the two final verdicts.

It;s come down to a decisiuon between an MSD blaster 2 external mounted coil and an Accel in-cap supercoil.

They arwe both advertised at 45,000 volts, but a read a post on here somewqhere where the MSD blaster 2 will only output the full advertised voltage when used in conjunction with an MSD control box. Not sure if the same applies for the accel supercoil but I would imagine sao. I'd prefer at this poijtn to retain the stock ignition module vs a control box since this car is a daily driver and control boxes aren't exactlym known for reliability.

As far as the appearance goes, I;m torn. i think it would BA to have the oldsachool look of an external mounted coil but on the flipside using an accel in-cap HEI coil with one of those shortened TPI dist covers wouldn't look all that bad either.

Right jnow I;'m running accel superstock wires with an MSD cap and rotor. If I go with the accel supercoil and the TPI dist cover, or with the MSD external coil and HEI adapter "capt-a-dapt", the price comes out about the same.

What would all you fellow TGO members recommend? Since Accel and MSD are so close performance-wise and the final product right now comes down to a matter of opinion, I'm just looking for some input to details I might have missed.

Thanks.

P.S. - No I have not done any work on my car in my current state LOL!
Old 12-26-2009, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Accel Supercoil Vs MSD Blaster 2

lol well ill tell you this my accel supercoil went out and i just slammed a stock cap on it and the difference was very noticeable. My opinion is the accel where i bought mine i got a lifetime warranty so you cant go wrong with it. Also msd is great and all but in order to get you want like you said with the box it's gunna cost you just slap in an accel and call it good.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 B4C "police special service"
Engine: L98 494hp
Transmission: tko-600 on order
Axle/Gears: 3.23 true trac

I am going to vote the other way....I have run both, had NO problems with MSD's stuff, and a few times had been stranded because of a failed accell part. I believe the reliablity goes to MSD by far. just my two cents though.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 334 Stroker Superram 222/230
Transmission: Full Manual 700R4 / 3k Street Edge
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Eaton, Moser, Richmond & More

Originally Posted by Goany
lol well ill tell you this my accel supercoil went out and i just slammed a stock cap on it and the difference was very noticeable. My opinion is the accel where i bought mine i got a lifetime warranty so you cant go wrong with it. Also msd is great and all but in order to get you want like you said with the box it's gunna cost you just slap in an accel and call it good.
When ytou say the difference was noticeable, do ytou mean begter or worse with the stock coil?
Old 12-27-2009, 10:10 AM
SSC
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 C4
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 307

Originally Posted by FireDemonSiC
When ytou say the difference was noticeable, do ytou mean begter or worse with the stock coil?
The only time your going to notice a difference is if you have a faulty part to start with. Most aftermarket ignition componets wont give you any difference in performance over stock. The accel super coil "stock type coil" is a nice peice Ive used them for years to replace faulty coils since they generaly run about the same price as a borg warner coil.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:52 AM

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

ugh.... I hate to drag up an old thread, but it might help someone out someday.

Ok so I've used two accel hei super big gray in cap coils, one long ago and one a bit before the original post. Long ago one no gains or probs noticed. Though I didn't have the truck long after. The more recent I put on in the fall of 08, gave me fits trying figure out why the car ran like crap in the spring. I even just put a new accel control modual that spring and at 1st I thought I broke my timing light. Long story short after complete distributor rebuild, I still had prob threw in an old rusty coil. Still ran crappy but timing light worked and I knew it was that accel super coil. Since my coil had 4-7 drives on it, but bought in the fall I was pretty anoyed and couldn't get a warrenty one. I ended up buying the external coil cap adapter stealing the msd blaster 2 off my stang and the car ran great.

Prob just a bad coil, but still I got 2 brand new hei accel super coil(long story) and I'm still debaiting on runing the msd cap adapter n coil on my 77 vette this spring. I don't know if the HEI in-cap performance coil can live well in a tight clearance hi-temp underhood vehicle.

FYI the blaster 2 coil in back in my stang, but that coil was orig in my 68 camaro over ten years ago and still going strong. Guse I got a few months to either buy another msd or just go run the accel and carry the extra incase.