Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

things to look for with the wheels off

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 4bbl
things to look for with the wheels off

Well, I finally got my camaro jacked up on 4 stands (ok, it's resting on 3...this is what I get for not having matching pairs). I wasn't sure about the jack points, so I jacked it up the same way as I did my ciera. Are these the correct points?

I was only able to get 3 wheels off. The 4th one (which also happens to be flat) is completely glued to the drum, so I'm hoping some PB blaster will eventually free it up. Not even pounding on the back of it with a 3lb hammer and a 2x3 helped...

Is there anything I should be looking for specifically? I noticed that ALL wheels do NOT turn freely at all (the brakes are grabbing them). My brake light is on (without the e-brake engaged) which is why I decided to take a look. I didn't see any leaks (couldnt' check the stuck wheel yet), and the master cylinder reservoir is nearly full still. The pedal just one time decided to start sinking (specifically, after my cousin decided to powerbrake it, but I guess something was already broken to begin with...). Heres a pic of the three wheels: anything seem amiss with these wheels (specific to the braking system or not)?

Thanks. Still trying to learn about these cars.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92 GTA/ 00 TA
Engine: 383/350
Transmission: 700R4/T-56
Re: things to look for with the wheels off

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...nt-get-my.html
Old 11-15-2009, 07:54 AM

Ah, I've already tried my fair share at kicking, from every angle. If the tire wasn't flat I'm sure it'd be more effective, but not in this case. Anyways, I'll deal with it on my own, just wanted to make sure I got the car jacked up correctly, and wanted to know what to look for (any problems specific to these cars) while I got the 4 wheels off.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

That front jack stand needs to be under the front subframe rails on either side of the transmission tunnel. It looks kind of close to the rocker panel which where it definitely does not need to be. I prefer to put it under the A-arms if possible though. The rear jack needs to be under the big chunk of metal right in front of where the rear lower control arms mount.

Putting it near the rocker panel, if that's where it is, is a pretty bad idea.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:24 PM

I set the front ones under the control arms (Up inside to minimize risk of slipping). I'm not sure I understood you clearly as far as the rear is concerned (and couldn't quite tell from the pic), but for now I placed the rear stands under what looks like some sort of a rail, and it appears the rear suspension does mount to it. The car isn't moving anywhere (did the push/pull test to make sure that, if the jackstands were to fail, they would do so before I ever went under the car), and it feels extremely sturdy. The only thing that bothers me are those rails in the rear: they're not level, but run at a slight angle. But if that's the right place to mount them, then I'm game. If not, please let me know asap.

While down there, and in the darkness, I noticed the left rear (the one with the wheel STILL stuck ) has some sort of leakage. It's odd though...it's running off what appears to be a support to hold the sway bar in place, yet the brake line above didn't look wet at all. I'll have to look at it again though when I get some daylight (and time off work).

Last edited by Tonglebeak; 11-15-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

Originally Posted by Tonglebeak
I set the front ones under the control arms (Up inside to minimize risk of slipping). I'm not sure I understood you clearly as far as the rear is concerned (and couldn't quite tell from the pic), but for now I placed the rear stands under what looks like some sort of a rail, and it appears the rear suspension does mount to it. The car isn't moving anywhere (did the push/pull test to make sure that, if the jackstands were to fail, they would do so before I ever went under the car), and it feels extremely sturdy. The only thing that bothers me are those rails in the rear: they're not level, but run at a slight angle. But if that's the right place to mount them, then I'm game. If not, please let me know asap.

While down there, and in the darkness, I noticed the left rear (the one with the wheel STILL stuck ) has some sort of leakage. It's odd though...it's running off what appears to be a support to hold the sway bar in place, yet the brake line above didn't look wet at all. I'll have to look at it again though when I get some daylight (and time off work).
I meant jackstands in my post. The jackstands need to be under the a-arms or the subframe rails. I prefer the a-arms, but if you need the suspension unloaded use the frame rails.

The subframe rails Im talking about are beside my header collectors here. They have a nice flat area parallel to the ground. This is what the jackstands need to go under.

In your pic it looks like you have the jack stands near the pinch welds on teh rocker panel and that's not good at all. If you dont then nevermind, but that was my concern.

To jack up the rear of the car, use the rear end pumpkin. To support the car once jacked up, put the jackstands under the rear lower control arm rail things. Where i have them in my pic. If you dont need the suspension unloaded, you can just throw the jackstands under the axle tubes.