Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Questions and opinions on gear drives

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 IROC-Z28
Engine: LS1 "ASA"
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Questions and opinions on gear drives

I was wondering if anybody has done this on here, swapped their timing chain sets to gear drive sets, specifically for a 305 TBI (LO3), or any 305/350? If so, how easy or hard was it to swap, and I know on most sets it says "not to be used on engines with knock sensors." Is this really a problem?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
- Justin
Old 11-10-2009, 05:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Questions and opinions on gear drives

The "noisy" ones are realy loud the "quiet" ones are sill able to be heard. Most install just like a timing chain. Certain blocks need slight clearancing though. The gear drive can/will produce hamonics that the knock senson can/will pick up. When this happens the timing gets retarded.

IMO, it's hard to beat a nice (Cloyes) double roller chain.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:12 PM

That's cool. I know it might sound funny, but I am wanting to swap to the gears for the noise. It gives off that "blower" sound under the hood. lol. What clearance would that be? Something as simple as filing down...?

As far as the knock sensor and retard timing, if you know that it WILL trigger the knock sensor and in turn retard your timing, could you figure out how much the timing will be retarded and advance your timing to compensate, or will this possibly cause problems down the road. What about a bypass or changing something with the knock sensor?

One last thing, which would still be "bearable" the noisy or quiet? In terms of daily driving and still gives a clear audible sound of a whining charger?
Old 11-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 iroc-z/28
Engine: 408 lsx
Transmission: 5800 stall
Axle/Gears: 4.71

i would stick with a chain.
if you get real hardcore, then id run a jesel belt drive setup, but nothing like this is needed for a basic 305/350
Old 11-10-2009, 11:18 PM

Car: 89 K3500 Fleetside
Engine: RAT *tbi* EBL
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 3.73-Dana 60

It's maybe a fun thought for you but I don't recommend a gear drive. Better to find another way to make the engine sound awful. Perhaps an exhaust whistle for the "turbo" effect?

Last edited by xch3no2; 11-10-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:41 PM

The whole reason I asked this, is I know my timing chain is slacker than a non-stretched rubber band. From what I have read, the gear drive offers a slightly better timing, due to the lack of a flexible chain. I guess it's all about opinion about that. I know that for a moderately tuned 305 the gears might not be a must, but thought it wouldn't hurt to have gears and the added "noise"[if that's what you're into]. So either way my timing chain has to be changed, just wondering about options, if it's gonna be about the same as having a chain, if I went with the gears, then the noise won't bother me. I've heard gear drives and superchargers before, both sound about the same, and it never gets old.

Last edited by IROC-Z_Racing; 11-11-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by IROC-Z_Racing
That's cool. I know it might sound funny, but I am wanting to swap to the gears for the noise. It gives off that "blower" sound under the hood. lol. What clearance would that be? Something as simple as filing down...?

As far as the knock sensor and retard timing, if you know that it WILL trigger the knock sensor and in turn retard your timing, could you figure out how much the timing will be retarded and advance your timing to compensate, or will this possibly cause problems down the road. What about a bypass or changing something with the knock sensor?

One last thing, which would still be "bearable" the noisy or quiet? In terms of daily driving and still gives a clear audible sound of a whining charger?
The clearancing is sometimes needed behind the idler gears.

Advancing the timing to compensate for the knock sensor retarding it is a bad idea altogether. I'm not positive, but I think it's safe to say that it wouldn't be retarded the same each time. I think it would vary by the load on the motor.

I know of a few people that put gear drives in their motors, after the break in and driving around for a few days they switched to chains. 2 of these people had "quiet" gear drives.

Once again, IMO: Stick with a chain or install a blower if you want the whine.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:50 PM

Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Buddy of mine put one in his 69 C10. When he pulled up, I thought his power steering pump was going out from the whine. It stayed in there about 2 months before he tore it back apart and put in a chain.

Dan
Old 11-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Z/28..39 Plymouth truck in progress
Engine: S/B
Transmission: Manual

If you are doing it for the "blower" noise be aware it has a very different sound than that......the noise the gear drive makes is from the gears meshing, the whine a full size blower makes is from air getting trapped between the belt and the cogs on the drive......two distinctly different sounds.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by toomany
The gear drive can/will produce hamonics that the knock senson can/will pick up.
Personal experience or just passing along stories?
Old 11-12-2009, 08:19 PM

Car: 83 Camaro
Engine: 4 Bolt 350, Bowtie aluminum heads
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.42, superior axles, Torsen diff

Have a gear drive and hate it. Definatly dosen't sound like a blower whine, I think a previous poster hit the nail on the head when he said it sounds like a bad PS pump. If your doing it for performance then get a belt drive or stay with a high quality chain. If you are doing it for sound then you will be very disappointed because IMHO it sounds like ****.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by madmax
Personal experience or just passing along stories?

Just passing stories. But everything I have read (online, magazines, even the manufactures) say not to use with a know sensor.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G6700/
"Notes Not designed to work on engines with a knock sensor. Not designed for use with factory equipped hydraulic roller cam and lifter engines."
Old 11-15-2009, 12:47 AM

I figured as much.
A properly installed quiet drive will be fine with the knock sensor.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:36 PM

Im in the same boat as the other guy, I've had gear drives before and i like the noise. You said a quiet drive will work with the knock sensor but what about the noisy one? Also if you happen to know, where I live in Missouri smog and emissions arent a big concern. Can I remove anything smog related without causing problems?
Old 12-20-2010, 04:03 PM

I only know of one person using one from this board, he did not have any issues. I dont know anyone else who has actually tried it. The so-called "quiet" drive I have though (Pete jackson) is more than noisy enough though, IMO.
The only thing smog related to remove that might add performance is the cat, but its not much to be gained there. I'd just leave it alone.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Car: 82 TA 87 IZ L98 88 IZ LB9 88 IZ L98
Engine: 5.7TBI 5,7TPI 5.0TPI, 5,7TPI
Transmission: T5, 700R4, T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.27, 3.45, 3.27

I've been using gear drives for a lot of years, I always use the milodon ones (have used the similar erson one also) this is how noisy it really is,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_NbPKiQw1s

Those are sidepipes w/ custom made (by me) stainless inserts w/ a 3" ID so not the super restrictive crappy inserts from hooker. They are LOUD and you can still hear the gear drive. I think for a car you drive a lot it's going to give you a brain aneurysm from the aggravation over time
Old 12-20-2010, 05:56 PM

Car: 83 Camaro
Engine: 4 Bolt 350, Bowtie aluminum heads
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.42, superior axles, Torsen diff

I have mine up for sale. It is a Dynagear brand and comes with the advance/retard bushings and camshaft button. You can hear it here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Ye8fFH90w
Definatly dosen't sound like a blower. Make me an offer, I want it gone.