Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Fuel cutoff relay circuit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro Iroc-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Fuel cutoff relay circuit?

I have an 89 iroc and im getting code 22 when i use the computer. The car will occasionally turn over but will only stay running for a second or two. I just recently replaced the throttle position sensor and the mass air, the code says fuel cutoff relay circuit, but i have no idea where that is. can anybody help me as to where it is or whether or not this is even the problem?
Old 10-31-2009, 12:35 PM

Re: Fuel cutoff relay circuit?

When you turn your ignition on key on engine off do you hear a click near the firewall under the hood. If not your relay is bad it is the two black squares in the corner on the drivers side. Not quite sure which one is fuel but they were cheap enough mines a 20 year old car so i replaced them both
Old 10-31-2009, 03:23 PM

Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by Tyler0413
I have an 89 iroc and im getting code 22 when i use the computer. The car will occasionally turn over but will only stay running for a second or two. I just recently replaced the throttle position sensor and the mass air, the code says fuel cutoff relay circuit, but i have no idea where that is. can anybody help me as to where it is or whether or not this is even the problem?
Code 22 is a TPS low malfunction. Check that the TPS voltage at key-on, engine-off is 0.54 volts. You can see this on your scan tool. The TPS should be slotted to be adjustable.

Note that there is no such thing as a fuel cut-off relay on your '89.

RBob.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:55 PM

Hey guys. I'm working with Ty on this and I don't think the problem has anything to do with the error code. I recharged the battery and the code went away. The car stopped running suddenly when we were driving it. It would not restart. Prior to this it had a few instances where it would not restart right away, but if you let it sit for 10 minutes or so it would then restart. Now, if it sits for a few days, it will start and fire, but only for a few seconds and then it dies and will not start, unless you let it sit for several days and it will do the same thing. I have checked and replaced the fuse by the battery, the fuses that relate to the fuel pump and injectors. I unplugged the fuel pump relay and when the key is turned on I can not hear the fuel pump run. When it is plugged back in I hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds while it builds up pressure and I can hear it continue to run after trying to start it for the same amount of time. So, I don't think it is the fuel pump. It seems to be getting spark because it will start (every few days) it just won't keep running. Seems like it is not getting gas, but that is just a guess.

Any ideas? Please.......
Old 11-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73

Originally Posted by mikeand7
it will start and fire, but only for a few seconds ....... Seems like it is not getting gas, but that is just a guess.
The oil pressure switch at the rear of block that runs the fuel pump could be bad.
Activates @ 4psi and runs pump in place of FP relay

Also the ECM has to see the pressure switch come on line while cranking ;
if it doesn't it won't fire the injectors

Old 11-04-2009, 08:42 PM

Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by mikeand7
Hey guys. I'm working with Ty on this and I don't think the problem has anything to do with the error code. I recharged the battery and the code went away. The car stopped running suddenly when we were driving it. It would not restart. Prior to this it had a few instances where it would not restart right away, but if you let it sit for 10 minutes or so it would then restart. Now, if it sits for a few days, it will start and fire, but only for a few seconds and then it dies and will not start, unless you let it sit for several days and it will do the same thing. I have checked and replaced the fuse by the battery, the fuses that relate to the fuel pump and injectors. I unplugged the fuel pump relay and when the key is turned on I can not hear the fuel pump run. When it is plugged back in I hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds while it builds up pressure and I can hear it continue to run after trying to start it for the same amount of time. So, I don't think it is the fuel pump. It seems to be getting spark because it will start (every few days) it just won't keep running. Seems like it is not getting gas, but that is just a guess.

Any ideas? Please.......
Yes, being an '89, if stock it has Multec injectors. If the injectors as stlil the originals replace them. The Multecs short out and will cause this exact issue.

Seriously, if the injectors are the original, or replacement Multecs, pull them out and toss 'em in the trash can. Replace them with a set of Bosch injectors for the correct engine displacement (19# or 22#).

The only other suggestion is to check the battery to engine and battery to body grounds. With the odd TPS code popping up this is an area that should be looked at.

RBob.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:42 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 5-speed

I got code 22 as well and I know that I have checked the voltage of the TPS. My car continues to shut off when I am driving and I basically lose all power when I push the gas pedal. If there was an issue with the fuel cutoff relay 1) where is it? and 2) how would I test it?
Old 06-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

As already stated, there is no "fuel cutoff relay" - only the relay for the fuel pump, and if you hear the pump prime when you turn the key on, then the relay is working.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:30 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 5-speed

Ok thank you. If the fuel pump relay was shorting or dying am I correct in saying that this could be causing my engine to cut out while driving?
Old 06-12-2011, 11:21 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 241 Likes on 196 Posts

Yes, but there is a redundant power feed to the fuel pump from the oil pressure switch. If both the switch and relay failed (unlikely) the pump could shut off. If the pump is shutting off it is more likely a wiring problem, but checking the relay is easy enough.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:49 PM

Car: 1988 Chevy Camaro IrocZ 28
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: automatic

I have an 88 Camaro and just the other day it began to run like it was starving for power and fuel after driving on the highway for 98 miles. It stared choking and backfiring when I tried to give it more gas. If I let off the gas peddle, it ran better for a short time, but wanted to die. The rpms ran below 5 and bearly got up above 15. I looked like a rabbit jumping across the intersection. I quickly got into a parking lot, just as it stalled. The car had plenty of fuel, but just cranked and would not start right. After doing a few checks, let the car sit for 1/2 hr, tried again. Good crank, just not firing and when I got it to start again, it ran, ruff, missing and backfiring and not wanting to accelerate. It continued, but seeming to clear up just enough to get it to a friends house. After checking the fuel pump, and a few other possibilities, Im going to check the timing and the MAF sensor. My concern is I actually took off the MAF and the car actually ran better than earlier for a bit when it shouldnt have been running at all. Is there anything else I should be checking for? Any input is welcome!

Last edited by myirocz28; 06-13-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:26 AM

Car: 1988 Chevy Camaro IrocZ 28
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: automatic

ok, so far with system checks, it is getting closer to a determination that hopefully I just need a fuel filter and/or pump....otherwise the timing chain looks like a big factor in the problems Im having. Anyone else with the same senario or problems with the same fixtures, please let me know what you got after conducting the same repairs please?