Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Before I buy more stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: L98
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Before I buy more stuff.

I am building up my 305 a little. I am wanting better torque I can use every time I can drive and not looking for the large horse power numbers that rarely get used, want to keep the great drive ability I have, make it better and I want to keep most of; if not improve my good high way fuel economy (26 to 27 mpg).
So far I have put in an edelbrook 650 carb, converted to electric fans, electric cooling pump and put a high flow 180 thermostat in there and that is about it engine wise.
I have an edelbrook RPM performer air-gap (PN 7501), I got it real cheap several years ago back when I wanted to drop in a big hp 350-400cu.in sbc. I know I am not doing that now but I would still like to use it. I was also going to work out some way to get cold air fed to the carb.
I have some used headers, I think they are headman shorty street style headers with 1 5/8 collectors. I was also going to try and fab up some duel exhaust.
I have a set of 10088113 aluminum vette heads with the D exhaust ports that are stock besides being resurfaced and selecting my own springs, retainers and locks. I was looking at using k-motion K-700 springs shimmed for about 120lb or more of seat pressure and some where around 330 to 370lb of open force depending on the cam and shims I go with.
I was planning on getting a set of Howard cams Roller retro fit lifters (with proper push rods) and fairly mild cam like what GM uses in their ZZ4/350HO with 1.6 roller lifters. Or some other short duration cam to produce .5'' or so lift. I am thinking bigger than a 276 grind is too much.
What cam should I get? (I like the TFS roller cam with 270*/276* avd dur and.452"/.465" lift on clearace for $120)
How does that sound?
Old 10-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73
Re: Before I buy more stuff.

Originally Posted by oil pan 4
I have a set of 10088113 aluminum vette heads I was looking at using k-motion K-700 springs shimmed for about 120lb or more of seat pressure and some where around 330 to 370lb of open force depending on the cam and shims I go with.
Get the GMPP ZZ4/LT4 springs, drop in fit on 113's; good for .525
Under $40 set of 16 .
The lightweight LT4 retainers (#12495492 ) are only $20

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...D&ProdID=24732
http://www.jegs.com/i/GM-Performance...oductId=761647
Old 10-09-2009, 06:42 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
I'll start at the end and work my way through it back from the top.
How does that sound?
Pretty much a very bad mis-match.

I am building up my 305 a little. I am wanting better torque I can use every time I can drive and not looking for the large horse power numbers that rarely get used, want to keep the great drive ability I have, make it better and I want to keep most of; if not improve my good high way fuel economy (26 to 27 mpg).
It's good to establish the priorities up front. I think you'll be severely disappointed, as I hope to show.

So far I have put in an edelbrook 650 carb...
Very bad move. The stock computer q-jet is superior to the Edelbrock in every way, and especially for fuel economy.

converted to electric fans, electric cooling pump and put a high flow 180 thermostat in there and that is about it engine wise.
Okay, but a 195 thermostat would be better for fuel economy. Most electric water pumps aren't intended for continuous street use. It's one thing the factory hasn't resorted to, if that means anything.

I have an edelbrook RPM performer air-gap (PN 7501), I got it real cheap several years ago back when I wanted to drop in a big hp 350-400cu.in sbc. I know I am not doing that now but I would still like to use it.
The Performer or a stock intake would be better.

I was also going to work out some way to get cold air fed to the carb.
A stock L69 dual snorkel air cleaner with scoops and ducts would do fine. Or, make your own dual snorkel (tech article).

I have some used headers, I think they are headman shorty street style headers with 1 5/8 collectors. I was also going to try and fab up some duel exhaust.
That would be 1-5/8" primary tubes and 3" collectors. No more than 2.5" pipes if going duals (won't help meet your goals considering the hassle to get it routed - 3" single routed in the stock location would be fine).
I have a set of 10088113 aluminum vette heads with the D exhaust ports that are stock besides being resurfaced and selecting my own springs, retainers and locks. I was looking at using k-motion K-700 springs shimmed for about 120lb or more of seat pressure and some where around 330 to 370lb of open force depending on the cam and shims I go with.
Heads are okay. I've never seen glowing reports of K-Motion springs. Overkill for a low-RPM torque economy engine. Keep the spring pressure down to only what is necessary to reduce internal engine friction/parasitic power loss.

I was planning on getting a set of Howard cams Roller retro fit lifters (with proper push rods) and fairly mild cam like what GM uses in their ZZ4/350HO with 1.6 roller lifters. Or some other short duration cam to produce .5'' or so lift. I am thinking bigger than a 276 grind is too much.
As a formerly-active TGO member used to say, "a lot of maze for very little cheese". Unless you're starting with a roller block, just get a good flat-tappet cam. The ZZ4 is hardly a "fuel economy" cam.

What cam should I get? (I like the TFS roller cam with 270*/276* avd dur and.452"/.465" lift on clearace for $120)
A Comp Xtreme Energy cam like XE258 or XE262 would keep the torque and economy up. There is probably something better out there.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: L98
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Before I buy more stuff.

Ahh, thanks on the cam. I really wasn't sure where to go.
I had never thought about good torque and good fuel economy cam untill here lately.
I like those 258 and 262 grinds much better, short duration good lift. I didn't look at enough cams.
Since I didn't get that intake manifold for this build what would be good?
I have had good results with boosting power and fuel economy in the past with improving cool air flow into the engine. I would like to stick with an air-gap type manifold.
I couldn't keep the Q-jet, when I got the car it wasn't running, I didn't have a whole lot of money, the Q-jet was pretty far gone and was the main problem. The 650 was like new and basicly free. When I got the car gas was $1.50/gal and the correct thing to do back then with a camaro was to drop in a 350 or 383. Current US political climate could send gas prices in to the 3 to 4 dollar range real easy.
I was planning on trying a 195 thermostat again. I put the 180 in there because I always had problems with preignition with regular gas in the summer even with cooler heat range spark plugs and no matter how I changed the timing. I think it was from hot air, hot fuel, hot intake manifold and hot carb. Since I installed the 180F I have not had any preignition problems what so ever.
For the exhaust I was going to likely stick with 2.25'' inch pipes, that should be plenty for a 5L.