Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

TBI to Carb shopping list/Heads-off update

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1978 Chevrolet impala
Engine: 350ci 300hp/356tq pace crate
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Yukon posi
TBI to Carb shopping list/Heads-off update

Okay, so I was attempting to pull valve spring stem seals a few weeks ago and found that try as I might i couldn't break the keepers loose with the heads on the motor.

I found MOUNTAINS of crap in that lifter valley, it was nasty. Some of the lifters weren't even visible from underneath all the buildup! Fortunately after clearing all the carbon mountain ranges away I was able to check the lifters out and they all seemed in fair condition. The pistons and piston walls all seemed presentable, there were no obvious signs of wall damage and the pistons held penetrant fluid for a good deal of time before it crept through, so I'm thinking they still seal just fine (a good thing too, after seeing the lifter valley I'm scared of what I'll find in the pan!).

Anyway, While pulling all this i broke a good deal of the EGR gizmos with my beefy mitts, and now after some frustration and more than a little lost blood, I've decided to hell with it, I'll just swap to carb.

So far I've picked up a pressure regulator (1NPT,1OPT,1Return), a carb manifold, and a holley 650 double pumper that probably needs a rebuild. I know 650 is a bit much for what I'm aiming to do, but it was 50 bucks, so cut a guy some slack, lol.

I know I'll need a throttle return bracket and a dizzy. Right now I'm eyeballing one on ebay for 42 bucks...any suggestions on a dizzy that will work with minimal effort and/or headache?
Old 09-07-2009, 01:29 PM
On Probation

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: seeking '90.5-'92 'bird hardtop
Engine: several
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: none
Re: TBI to Carb shopping list/Heads-off update

The trick to the stuck-ness is to pop the retainers with a hammer, on one side only. This makes the retainer crooked for a millisecond, but the valve doesn't really move.
For a dizzy, I suggest the MSD StreetFire HEI or Accel's 59107C