Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Engine wont start. New battery and starter PLEASE HELP ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro. 99 Grand am.
Engine: 350
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Engine wont start. New battery and starter PLEASE HELP ASAP

My mother recently drove my 91 GMC 1500 with a 305 TBI to Florida from Maryland with no problems. Well When she got close to dayotna destination, all the lights shut out on the freeway for about 15 seconds, then came back on. So she kept driving. Then the parking brake warning indicator light came on very very briefly and so did the check engine light. She pulled over and shut the truck off..No visible problems and brake was not engaged. Went about 20 miles and got to her destination. Let truck sit overnight and went to leave. But the Starter just clicked and headlights wouldnt come on but power locks worked. Jumped it with another vehicle but battery was too weak, so i replaced the battery with a new one. Truck started rght up. I drove it around town for about 30 mins then parked it, When to start it this morning (3days later) and truck started fine. Then i got about 3 miles from my house and it shut out. It wouldnt start back up and nothing worked. starter wouldnt even engage. But i have to take the truck back to MD tomorrow. PLease give me some help

I replaced plugs, wires, and air cleaner about a month ago. And cleaned the throttle body unit. ALso a friend of my mothers replaced the starter with a new one about two months ago while she was driving the truck. And mother stated the truck would stall a lil at cruising speeds
Old 08-31-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 85' Trans Am !best car ever!
Engine: 305tpi 215hp LB9 two bolt,
Transmission: th-700r4
Axle/Gears: stock (3.27)
Re: Engine wont start. New battery and starter PLEASE HELP ASAP

by the sound of your battery dying in less than an hour, id have to say ALTERNATOR, get it checkd at autozone, charge the batt, and pray youll make it to MD, pretty sure its the alternator. its that big heavy componant on top of your enigine with fins. connected to the belt system,
Attached Thumbnails Engine wont start. New battery and starter PLEASE HELP ASAP-thing.jpg  
Old 08-31-2009, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by transam85dudeman
by the sound of your battery dying in less than an hour, id have to say ALTERNATOR, get it checkd at autozone, charge the batt, and pray youll make it to MD, pretty sure its the alternator. its that big heavy componant on top of your enigine with fins. connected to the belt system,
Not to sound like a smart a** considering i sought to this site for advice but i do know what an alternator is, where its located, and what it looks like. I do like have two 3rd gens and grew up around cars. But thanks anyways.

OK so i took the starter down to find out it was installed incorrectly. ANd the positive cable had melted to the exhaust causing it short out and "fry" the starter. Now..... With that said there are two wires that also run in the same loom with the main cable. one is black w/a thin red stripe,(also fried) that runs from the battery to ???? Please help me out with this. And the other has a connector end on it that was wrapped around the side of the block near the base pan at what might be an oil temp sending unit???

I tried to give u as much details to help me,,,thanks
Old 08-31-2009, 12:49 PM

Car: 85' Trans Am !best car ever!
Engine: 305tpi 215hp LB9 two bolt,
Transmission: th-700r4
Axle/Gears: stock (3.27)

anything fried needs to be replace. and try looking for a inline fuse by the the batt. and check the fuse block. take it easy.. i doubt youll get her running b4 the trip.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by transam85dudeman
anything fried needs to be replace. and try looking for a inline fuse by the the batt. and check the fuse block. take it easy.. i doubt youll get her running b4 the trip.
Ok got her running...But one problem still persists...And that is it stalling out.. I replaced the starter and posi bat cable along with the other wire described.It shut out twice. first when i cut the a/c then next when i was turn the corner..But i noticed that the alternator was chargin well still. Between above 14 volts according to the indicator on the dash....

I asked a guy at a local auto store today about this problem and here was his statement: " Your plugs are fouled and your throttle body needs cleaning. And the reason why it keeps shutting off is because the computer thinks its getting more fuel (because of unburned fuel on plugs) so therefore its asking for more air. When it does introduce more air the engine in turn shuts off. Thus causing the unburned fuel to be stuck at the top of the air cleaner housing."

Could this be true? I replaced the plugs about two months ago but i never cleaned throttle body since ive owned the truck (8 mnths) so maybe this is the culprit??????

PLEASE HELP
Old 08-31-2009, 03:38 PM
Banned

Car: 92 25th anv camaro rs
Engine: 305 tbi
Axle/Gears: 3.08s non posi

umm check the air cleaner housing for gas...if its there then he could be right but new plugs shouldnt be doing that. if there is gas i would say check fuel pressure. also the air filter is new but could there be a block in the air ways to the filter? and ask a shop bc i now the turning a/c on and then stalling out on a turn has something to do with the problem...i wana say i heard this in my ASE classes or a hanyes repair manual.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by DARKmj16
umm check the air cleaner housing for gas...if its there then he could be right but new plugs shouldnt be doing that. if there is gas i would say check fuel pressure. also the air filter is new but could there be a block in the air ways to the filter? and ask a shop bc i now the turning a/c on and then stalling out on a turn has something to do with the problem...i wana say i heard this in my ASE classes or a hanyes repair manual.
Yep there is gas on the air cleaner housing! Dude thanks for the response. I really appeciate it... So r u sayin that i should go ahead and rereplace my spark plugs? and i will try to get to somewhere w. an air compressor and try to see if the passageways are blocked