Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Descisions, Descisions, need opinons and suggestions please....

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83' Z28 camaro
Engine: 5.7L 350
Transmission: TH350
Descisions, Descisions, need opinons and suggestions please....

I am about ready to pull my 350 out of my 83 Z28 in the next few weeks. Now the engine runs just fine and doesn't have anything wrong with it that I know of but I need a new tranny and would like to do some work on the engine (plus the engine bay needs to be cleaned up) So I am having trouble deciding what to do to the engine. I know for sure I am putting headers on and matching my edelbrock carb with a new performer intake manifold. After that I am not sure where to go. My thoughts have been to install an engine kit from northern auto parts plus put on some new assembled heads such as rhs or edelbrock. I am new to most of this though and am not sure what needs to be matched with what here. So i guess my biggest ?'s are:

1. What would be a good set of heads to go with and should I go with aluminum or iron...

2. If I do get a set of already assembled Heads what else do I needs to make them complete as in rocker arms...

3. Will the assembled heads include parts that would be in the engine kit from nap so in theory would I be buying the same thing twice...

4. What is a good cam size to go with and will it have to match somehow to the heads that I choose..

5. I guess an easier ? is if I gave you a complete 350 to overhaul and around $2000 at most what would you do to it...

6. what kind of machine work would I want to get done if any at all...

7. Finally would it be best to spend the money this way or to just buy a fresh 260hp crate and not have much leftover to do much to it...

The car is my summer pleasure car that I am restoring slowly but surely and is a daily driver type car not looking to take it to the track or anything but I do like getting the best my money can buy...

Appreciate any advice guys....
Old 08-27-2009, 04:53 PM
On Probation

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: seeking '90.5-'92 'bird hardtop
Engine: several
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: none
Re: Descisions, Descisions, need opinons and suggestions please....

by 260 hp crate I assume you mean the Goodwrench 350 that GM sells for around $1500? NO! It's got about 8.0:1 compression. Before picking parts, it would help to know how you use the car, what gearing is in the rear axle, and a few other details. But if I had what you describe, and $2000 as you say, I'd spend the first $575 on a new bare pair of Patriot Freedom heads, then $80 for new stainless 1-piece swirl-polished valves from www.competitionproducts.com, and a set of their 98111 springs for another $26. Add another $15 for valve seals, and reuse your old retainers, rockers, and pushrods. I'd get a Weiand Stealth AirStrike intake instead of a Performer, and for these heads, and having to assume you have stock dished pistons, a 218/224-110 cam from COMP. That cam, plus lifters, lube and oil additive, and a timing set, eats another $250 or so, and will put you past 350 crank HP. And will take about 50 pounds off the nose of your nose-heavy car. This build would like a 3.73:1 axle, but a 3.42:1 would be okay. I'd use a 750 carb. As for buying any kit from NAP, why? If your bottom end is running well, then keep running it. Stock stuff is fine for a 5500 rpm upshift, and that's part of why I chose that cam.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the input atilla I was talking about the GM Goodwrench crate 350. So I should just scrath the kit and just go with some bare heads with a few other new parts. I have a 650cfm edelbrock now that is brand new so I would like to keep it. I am not sure what rear end I have I am assuming it is just the stock 83 rear end. I will use this car just as a daily driver really any other suggestions....
Old 08-27-2009, 09:27 PM

I have been looking around on ebay at heads and saw these and were wonding what you guys thought of them http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-S...Q5fAccessories

also what would be a good cam to go with these or the gm performance vortec heads..
Old 08-28-2009, 04:01 PM
On Probation

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: seeking '90.5-'92 'bird hardtop
Engine: several
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: none

I've never heard of those heads, and I do this for a living! It's difficult to get the right cam when you don't know how the heads flow. If it has average exhaust flow better than 75% of average intake flow, you do better with a single pattern cam, while if the average exhaust flow is less, you do better with a dual-pattern. I know the percentages of every other SBC head on the planet, but those, IDK. For Vortec heads from a GM truck 350, those heads like a lot of extra exhaust duration. Unless they've been modified, then it becomes a matter of who did what, but even so, all the common stuff is well-known. For performance, you really do want a good exhaust flow. Those Patriot Freedom heads I suggested are a great choice.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:31 PM

I have been doing some looking and research and I think I have decided to go with a pair of vortec heads and have a few picks. The GM performance ones http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12558060/ were my first choice but I guess they can only handle a .450 lift but I am not really familiar with the numbers for cams. The other 2 sets I have looked at are Patriot http://www.jegs.com/i/Patriot-Perfor.../2151/10002/-1 and RHS http://www.competitionproducts.com/p...ber=RHS12410K1 which I believe have upgrades that will let them do a lift up to .550. Guess my questions are should I go ahead and spend the extra buck on the patriot or rhs heads or stick with the stock gm's. Also what would be a good cam to pair with either of these heads as I have been looking at comp kits that come with lifters and timing set also...