Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

89 TBI no fuel delivery problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 07:58 PM
nzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 TBI no fuel delivery problem

Hello all, I have a 89 Camaro 305 TBI. It refused to start last week (stranded the wife). Had it towed to mechanic and had fuel pump replaced. Ran great for a day, drove somewhere, and refused to start again. Had it towed back to mechanic, of course it started no problem the next day. Drove it again today, and it left me stranded. I can't hear pump prime up when key is turned. I replaced the fuel pump relay switch-still wont start. Could it be ignition switch or ECM? I would appreciate any thoughts on where to look next. I have been a long time "lurker" here and appreciate all the hard work and advice everyone has helped myself and others with in the past. I have replaced fuel filter along with annual tune up in June (cap/rotor/plugs/wires/etc...)

Last edited by nzo; 08-23-2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-23-2009, 08:33 PM

Car: 88 t/a tpi ported polished bolt ons
Engine: lb9 got 406 on paymnt wow FI 406
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 99 z28 342 in back
Re: 89 TBI no fuel delivery problem

Originally Posted by nzo
Hello all, I have a 89 Camaro 305 TBI. It refused to start last week (stranded the wife). Had it towed to mechanic and had fuel pump replaced. Ran great for a day, drove somewhere, and refused to start again. Had it towed back to mechanic, of course it started no problem the next day. Drove it again today, and it left me stranded. I can't hear pump prime up when key is turned. I replaced the fuel pump relay switch-still wont start. Could it be ignition switch or ECM? I would appreciate any thoughts on where to look next. I have been a long time "lurker" here and appreciate all the hard work and advice everyone has helped myself and others with in the past. I have replaced fuel filter along with annual tune up in June (cap/rotor/plugs/wires/etc...)
i got the same prob but mine wont start at all 3 or 4 post down from urs is my ? and 3 hrs of conversation with to helpful guys try it (feul pump problems ...i think ???) try that may help
Old 08-23-2009, 09:30 PM
nzo

Thanks for the reply dirtybrd88, I saw your post and the updated replies give me a direction to go. I am hoping I can get it home without a tow, and then hotwire pump to see if is working.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:24 AM

Car: 88 t/a tpi ported polished bolt ons
Engine: lb9 got 406 on paymnt wow FI 406
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 99 z28 342 in back

Originally Posted by nzo
Thanks for the reply dirtybrd88, I saw your post and the updated replies give me a direction to go. I am hoping I can get it home without a tow, and then hotwire pump to see if is working.
ure very welcome thats purpose of this gathering of minds to help one another im back to droppin my tank once again hope i ger it right this time
Old 08-24-2009, 10:12 PM
nzo

Follow-up: As suggested in dirtybrd88 post-I tried hot wire to "G" terminal at ALDL=nothing. Tried hot wire to Tan/Wht wire @fuel pump relay=nothing. As a last ditch attempt, I banged on the gas tank as suggested=SUCCESS !! I was able to drive it home. I will be getting it up in the air and examining wires @fuel pump this weekend. Thanks to everyone for their input and suggestions.