Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Just changed the plugs - what a PITA, is there an easier way?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009 | 04:51 PM

Car: Camaro RS '91
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto w/ TransGo shift kit
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Just changed the plugs - what a PITA, is there an easier way?

I just finished changing the plugs on my ’91 RS, what a pain in the rear side.
The car is on jack stands about 2ft up in the air, all steering components are out including steering box and collapsible steering linkage.

It took me more than 2hrs to do it.

Is there a trick to it? How do people do it when everything is still on the car?

While we’re on the access topic, how do you remove the oxygen sensor, you can barely fit a wrench in there? (On my car is on the drive’s side.)

D.
Old 08-02-2009 | 06:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: Just changed the plugs - what a PITA, is there an easier way?

I always change mine from the topside, and although the #8 plug isn't easy. none of them seem that hard.
Old 08-02-2009 | 07:55 PM

Car: 1986 Z28
Engine: 350 Q-Jet

A universal joint adapter for your ratchet helps alot but I've always done it without, which is a pita but it can be done. As for the #5 which if memory serves is the one beside the O2 sensor, you can grind down a spark plug socket for clearance and use an open end wrench to take it out, or you can use an O2 sensor socket to remove the sensor. The o2 socket will have a groove or slit up one side for the wire to stick out without getting jacked-up. Removing the sensor can be a pain in rear also. I recommend heavily spraying with Blaster PB, and tapping, and waiting, and repeating a couple times to break it loose. A cheater bar helps too. You can buy a breaker bar, or just stick a pipe on the end of your ratchet for extra leverage. It will make you want to blow your brains out sometimes, but it gets easier after you've done it once or twice.
Old 08-03-2009 | 10:51 AM

Car: Camaro RS '91
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto w/ TransGo shift kit
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Camaronewbie, you've got headers, it's easy for you, lots of room etc. There is no way to do it top side on a stock engine with all the air and steering components, etc.
My hands are big but not that big and I had a hell of a time trying to change the plugs. Some of the posts I read mentioned #8 to be a PITA but in my case #5 was the hardest to get at, no leverage to pull the wire out to start with and then not enough room to swing the ratchet (one click).
The ratchet I have is part of a kit for changing spark plugs: curved handle, swinging head and that helped a little in terms of access but still.....

H8U666, thanks for the advice on the O2 sensor. I don't have Blaster PB so I'll have to use WD40 (I love WD40, did I tell you that? hehe). The way the bung is welded I won't have room to use a socket but I can put a boxed end wrench on it if I disconnect the wire.

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-03-2009 | 04:43 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Originally Posted by Vortex91
Camaronewbie, you've got headers, it's easy for you, lots of room etc. There is no way to do it top side on a stock engine with all the air and steering components, etc.
I haven't had headers forever. Did several plug changes between the 1990 RS I had, and the 1992 RS I currently have, as well as the brother's 87 Bird. Maybe the happy pills really do work then , 'cause I just don't remember it being that bad

In that case, I whole heartedly reccommend a visit to your Doc for a script of Citalopram.