Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Dead Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 11:26 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Z28
Engine: L69 305 H.O.
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Dead Camaro

I was cruising home the other day when for no apparent reason the motor sputtered,backfired a few times and then died. I pulled to the side and tried a re-start. It would fire up for just a split second and then die. It was a hot day so I figured that the ole' L69 vapor lock problem bit me. I waited for about 45 minutes and it started right up. I got about a mile before it died again and fired off three major backfires (probably from me turning the ignition while in motion) and died. I had to have it towed home. When we arrived, if fired right up. I drove it for a couple of blocks, turned it off and on without any problem.

I figured it was for sure the vapor lock issue as I don't have the electric low pressure fuel pump or the carburator heat shield. I went out the next day and now it won't start at all. Now I'm not getting any spark. Checked all wiring. It looks good. I replaced the electronic spark control module with negative results. Any idea what the culprit could be?