Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Cash for clunkers

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock
Re: Cash for clunkers

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1 ap news story - gov to suspend c4c program.
people upset that parts that can be used in other cars are being destroyed.
they probably will not have enough money to pay the backlog of c4c claims from dealers.

its all over now.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:24 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77

Originally Posted by kkingsrulee
The debate here should not be over global warming, but instead over subjects pertaining to the program itself.
I just spoke my mind on the subject. I did not start a debate. I call it "venting", because I think the big lie is causing a big waste of tax payer money. I'm sorry that me talking about global warming gets you fired up. It was as easy as just looking over my post.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock

dont worry about it - we are all adults and reasonable men frequently disagree about many things of importance.
and debating is always fun.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: V8 305 TBI
Transmission: W/C T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Originally Posted by M G Brewer
I just spoke my mind on the subject. I did not start a debate. I call it "venting", because I think the big lie is causing a big waste of tax payer money. I'm sorry that me talking about global warming gets you fired up. It was as easy as just looking over my post.
I never got "fired up" I just want us to stay on topic. There's a big difference between the two.

Originally Posted by tony_cogliandro
dont worry about it - we are all adults and reasonable men frequently disagree about many things of importance.
and debating is always fun.
I agree completely.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:43 PM

Tony is right, they ran out of money. The program, for the moment, is suspended. Now is the time to stop posting here complaining and call your congressperson (being PC) and tell them not to re-fund this thing if you are against it.

They changed the rules. So, you are correct.
You're the second person that has said that. Where did you see it was any different? Every time I checked this garbage bill its been the same. I'm curious where the conflicting information came from.

Last edited by madmax; 07-30-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if anything this just means my car will gain value as it becomes rarer
Old 07-31-2009, 08:46 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, LT1
Transmission: TKX, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.23

Originally Posted by shermanwizard
I found some disturbing info about this new program. Whatever you do don't give up that f-body to any new car dealership. Just read what they have to do to the engine if Uncle Sam determines it to be a "gas hog".
Maybe I'm biased, but for the better part of 10 years I did fbody parts. I stripped a ton of cars, and I didn't feel bad about any of them.

[*]Though all trades must be in drivable condition, dealers are required to disable the vehicles' engines before scrapping them. Regulators’ accepted procedure: Drain the oil, then run several quarts of sodium silicate through the engine. As engine heat evaporates the solution, deposits of dehydrated sodium silicate line the engine's lubrication system, abrading all the moving parts and causing the engine to seize.
Stock fbody motors are crap anyway, so who cares. The cars will go to junk yards, and tons of parts will be available for you guys.

On the other hand, if an fbody is actually worth more than $3500-$4500, the owner will sell it. If it's worth less, scrap it I say.

[*]Scrap facilities can sell any part of the car except the engine block or whole drivetrain, but ultimately the car must be taken off the road.
Again - good! Nobody is buying used 100+ thousand mile motors anyway,
well nobody with a brain. But perhaps tail lamps, rear axle, rims, etc might
be needed and now junkyards might see a large amount of these cars showing up.

Some of you guys are a little silly. A car is a car.

-- Joe
Old 07-31-2009, 08:55 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Originally Posted by anesthes
Some of you guys are a little silly. A car is a car.

-- Joe
The problem is, some of the stealerships are simply CRUSHING cars, not pulling the drivetrain out & sending the shells to a junkyard, for the parts to be recycled onto other cars.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:02 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, LT1
Transmission: TKX, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.23

Originally Posted by Stephen
The problem is, some of the stealerships are simply CRUSHING cars, not pulling the drivetrain out & sending the shells to a junkyard, for the parts to be recycled onto other cars.
Steel is way down, I don't know if I completely believe that. I mean, this is what I used to do. When steel was way up, I'd yank interior and tail lights and drop it off whole. When steel is down, you're better off selling it to a yard and letting it be picked off, or part it yourself. Since the dealerships are not in the used parts business, it seems to make sense to ship it to yards.

The local dealerships around here are doing just that.

Not to say some are not crushing as well. I mean, you have to look at the marketability of the parts too. The last few years I got out of it because I couldn't sell the parts. Thirdgens are a Niche market now, pretty much every 16 year old with dads money is buying import.

-- Joe