Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Been a LONG time lol

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009 | 03:12 AM

Car: 1999 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 4L60E
Been a LONG time lol

Wow, it's been a LONG time since I have been on here but decided to post up a new build of mine that might be useful to some. It's not a 3rd gen but will be using some parts off some lol. I recently acquired a 67' Chevy Biscayne (Impala) to work on to become my "family" vehicle and cruising car. I've been doing alot of stuff to it recently and the motor is next. It has a 307ci Chevy engine with a 3-spd manual transmission (was on the column but had been converted to floor shift). Anyone that knows me well knows that I dare to be different lol (turbo OHC Pontiac straight 6 in a 69' Tempest, one of the first to run the RAII hood on a Camaro, currently have a 97' Rodeo as a DD that is lifted on 33's, baja rack with lights and tons of other crap, etc etc). I'm going to be building the 307 using an aluminum q-jet intake manifold, 416 305HO heads with some port work and 1.94 intake valves, a Comp Cams X4262H camshaft and a Q-jet off a 71 Camaro. There are more specs to it but basically I will be looking at 9.6:1 Compression, the cam should hold torque very well up to about 4500-5000rpm and get decent MPG. I'm also thinking of ditching the 3spd and swapping in a 700R4. I'd like to keep it a manual but the car is more of a "family" car and I think the automatic would be better (wife could drive it if need be because she REFUSES to learn to drive stick, I have tried lol) and cheaper than an overdrive manual tranny that will fit my floor contours as well as my front bench seat. I'm figuring this motor should make around 300hp and 350 ft/lbs and should hold the torque up near peak for a good bit (the car will also be used to tow my 68' Camaro project when it's finished on the Hot Rod Power Tour, so torque is key). When the motor goes, I can swap in a set of 283 forged pistons (they don't make 307 pistons in anything but cast anymore) and some 400 sbc rods (could go eagle here too) and down the line could throw some gas at it and/or swap on some vortecs for a bit more flow. I'm not going to get toooooo crazy with the build as I have to remember it's going to be a DD/cruiser and not a strip warrior, that and it's HUGE lol. I picked up the intake manifold already ($15 bucks), dual snorkel air cleaner ($25) and a qjet in good running condition ($45 but will get a rebuild etc before I slap it on). I just need to pick up the heads (found a pair for $100 at the JY, but still looking) and the camshaft. I figure for under $600 I'll have a good running small block Well enough talk (sorry for the long post, it's been awhile, had to catch up ya know), here are some pics of the car in question (has 15x10's out back with 295/50-15's)

Please forgive the dirty engine bay and nasty antifreeze, that pic was the day I bought it, and man was it gross in there lol. Oh, and I'll have another 3rd gen down the road, will probably be one of my kids 1st cars, I still love these things!!! My last one (primer one in sig) ran in the 11's all motor, caged out etc (don't think I posted much on it).

P.S.: For those who don't know the 307 or immediately associate POS with it (mainly due to the 307 everyone knows from buick/oldsmobile in the 80's), if you think the 283 or the 327 is a decent motor, then the 307 is good middle ground. It's one of the original "stroker" motors. It's a stroked 283 using a large journal 327 crankshaft. Still has common 5.7" GM rods in it with a 3.875 bore like the 283 but the 3.250" stroke of the 327. Now no high performance version was ever available and it was mainly known for good fuel mileage especially in larger cars (all came with 2bbl carbs too), but it is every bit as capable of making power. The block casting I have is even known for being bored out to 4.0" to make it a 327, but I won't be going this route.

Last edited by RamAirZ; 07-10-2009 at 03:32 AM.
Old 07-10-2009 | 09:49 AM
On Probation

Car: seeking '90.5-'92 'bird hardtop
Engine: several
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: none
Re: Been a LONG time lol

love your vtec quote
Old 07-10-2009 | 02:01 PM

lol thanks. I always thought it was hilarious
Old 07-10-2009 | 02:06 PM

Car: 1984 Camaro 'Vert
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4

My DD has the MIVEC (Mitsu's copycat VTEC) and I get that feeling every time I gun it. Oh how I miss a good V8...
Old 07-10-2009 | 03:34 PM

Ya there's nothing like it. I've had a V8 of some sort since I was 16 (sometimes I had a different DD but still had the V8 in the garage) until last year when I sold my 67' K10 pickup and just had the Rodeo for a bit. That V6 going up the hills here in California with 33" tires was annoying lol. The Biscayne just cruises all over the place without a hint of being underpowered (that is unless you try to race it in it's current state lol). I even had a (forgive me for I have sinned) 95' Mustang GT convertible when I first moved to San Diego, I just couldn't be without a V8 (all the F-bods were overpriced or beat up).
Old 07-10-2009 | 03:40 PM

Lol, watch out... I won't burn you for the Mustang, but some might! That Biscayne is a neat car, I wish I could afford something that old. For the moment my L03 Firebird is the closest to V8 power I get.

What's the next 3rd gen you plan on? One day I hope to snag a late 80's IROC with a 350 to replace this tired old 'bird.
Old 07-10-2009 | 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by campin1983
Lol, watch out... I won't burn you for the Mustang, but some might! That Biscayne is a neat car, I wish I could afford something that old. For the moment my L03 Firebird is the closest to V8 power I get.

What's the next 3rd gen you plan on? One day I hope to snag a late 80's IROC with a 350 to replace this tired old 'bird.
They can burn me all they want, but I wanted a newer, V8 car in good shape, decent mileage and well priced with a manual. Out here the F-bodies were either REALLY high mileage, owned by young military guys that beat the crap out of them (lots of obvious signs), or they asked WAY too much for them. I wasn't interested in a 3rd gen at the time, wanted something to ride the baby in and be comfy for everyone, the full backseat of the stang worked out. It had 90K original miles, one owner, leather was in PERFECT shape (probably garaged it's whole life) and it was the last year of the 5.0 (I don't like the 4.6 2V's at all). I got a good deal on it and fixed it up to my liking, BBK long tubes, x-pipe, MAC exhaust, FR500 wheels, Billet CC plates, short shifter, FR springs, KYB adjustable shocks, and some other crap. Here is what it looked like before I sold it

Kinda one of those deals you would be stupid to pass up just because of brand, it was in immaculate shape. But I've only strayed once The Biscayne was actually one of those deals too (I get alot of these lol, bought a Yamaha 600 for 1K amd fixed it up for $300 and sold it for $2800), got the "Biscuit" for $1700!!! I'm thinking of building a 92' Z28 Anniversary for my son when he gets a little older, blue with white stripes, probably some Fikse wheels, SS hood, etc. I myself would love to have a TA vert like the black one with flames that Hawks Thirdgen had on their page for the longest time, but I have the Biscayne and a 1st gen to worry about and my wife wants me to build a 67' Stang for her (sorry, she loves GM and Camaro's but has always wanted a Mustang), so it might be awhile before I get another 3rd gen for myself.

Last edited by RamAirZ; 07-10-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-10-2009 | 04:41 PM

Haha, like I said, I wouldn't give you any grief for the Mustang. I don't usually tend to hate on really any car, as long as its not hacked up to be something wacky. And hopefully noone is gonna hate on anything from the 60's! lol. I'd love to get one of those old Shelby Mustangs, but I believe they are reserved for the rich, famous and dang lucky.

You'll have to keep us updated on that build for the 92 Anniversary Camaro when you get to it. That could be one wicked ride. Remind your son to thank you daily for it. My dad gave me his rusted 88 Chevy Celebrity for my first car!
Old 07-10-2009 | 04:46 PM

He's going to help me work on whatever car he ends up getting, so he will actually appreciate it when he gets old enough for it. My first car was bought new for me (they did it for my sister so they did it for me too). I loved it but can say honestly I didn't treat it with enough respect as I should have (I detailed it daily but beat the crap out of it driving). After someone hit me in it I had to buy my next car on my own, that was my 88' Camaro that alot of people here knew, built it from POS to taking home trophies. I LOVED that car. My wife "wants" a Shelby GT500KR but told her she is out of her mind, I'll find a 6cyl Stang and make it look like one and put a V8 in it lol.
Old 07-10-2009 | 04:50 PM

I'd love the car your wife mentions. Sucker for the Gone in 60 seconds showcar, what can I say?

Good that your having your son help. I appreciated anything I got automotive because aside from that old Chevy, I either bought it or fixed it myself, my dad will never be mistaken for a gearhead.

Instead of the super expensive Shelby, my #2 is a much more manageable blue IROC with a 350, prolly an 88 or 89. Hopefully when I get a house with a garage, I can get myself an old roller and build it up. That'd be my dream.

Anyways, have a good weekend, thanks for stopping back on the boards! See ya around.
Old 07-10-2009 | 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by campin1983
I'd love the car your wife mentions. Sucker for the Gone in 60 seconds showcar, what can I say?

Good that your having your son help. I appreciated anything I got automotive because aside from that old Chevy, I either bought it or fixed it myself, my dad will never be mistaken for a gearhead.

Instead of the super expensive Shelby, my #2 is a much more manageable blue IROC with a 350, prolly an 88 or 89. Hopefully when I get a house with a garage, I can get myself an old roller and build it up. That'd be my dream.

Anyways, have a good weekend, thanks for stopping back on the boards! See ya around.
lol I have a framed picture of eleanor above our couch lol. You have a good weekend too, I think it's been about 3-4 years since my last post lol