Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

O2 sensors burning out

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O2 sensors burning out

I own a 2000 Trans-Am and have added a couple of things and now notice a problem.

I added a K&N Cold Air Intake and a Diablosport 'Predator' chip.

The car was running fine for awhile then the "Sell Soon" light, (check engine), came on.
I had the car checked out and found out the catalytic converter was bad. Pontiac replaced it and told me the O2 sensors were bad. I replaced all 4 of those myself and off I went. Next thing I know the check engine light is on again. I took it over to the parts store and had the kid run the computer to check the codes and it was the left and right rear O2 sensors that came up bad. I then replaced those and went on my way. Well, now the check engine light is on again and I stopped over to the parts store again and the same codes came up, left and right rear O2 sensors. I literally replaced those earlier this afternoon and they are coding out again. (p0137 and p0157 are the codes)

Also, during this "check engine" light period there is also a very noticeable decrease in power. The car falls flat on it's face off the line and bogs out/sputters randomly during acceleration. There's no backfiring or anything like that just a feeling like it is getting choked or does not have proper air flow. I assume this has something to do with the O2 sensors not working properly?? Once I get to a desired speed it will run fine at that speed/rpm though.

Any ideas? Does my car have a breathing problem? I still have stock exhaust on there with the cold air intake and the chip. If anyone has any ideas please feel free to post them up.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2009, 01:57 PM

Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 5.0 TBI
Transmission: W/C T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi
Re: O2 sensors burning out

My suggestion is.... Go to one of the 4th gen sites available. This site is dedicated to 3Rd Gen Firebird & Camaros. 82-92
Old 07-08-2009, 03:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 camaro z28,1997 camaro lt1
Engine: 355 afr 195 heads,tpis big mouth
Transmission: 700r-4 built by me 3-4 z pack
Axle/Gears: 3.42

check the engine fuse under the hood is a 20 amp fuse see if its not blow out,and check the fuel pressure

Originally Posted by 2000TAinNE
I own a 2000 Trans-Am and have added a couple of things and now notice a problem.

I added a K&N Cold Air Intake and a Diablosport 'Predator' chip.

The car was running fine for awhile then the "Sell Soon" light, (check engine), came on.
I had the car checked out and found out the catalytic converter was bad. Pontiac replaced it and told me the O2 sensors were bad. I replaced all 4 of those myself and off I went. Next thing I know the check engine light is on again. I took it over to the parts store and had the kid run the computer to check the codes and it was the left and right rear O2 sensors that came up bad. I then replaced those and went on my way. Well, now the check engine light is on again and I stopped over to the parts store again and the same codes came up, left and right rear O2 sensors. I literally replaced those earlier this afternoon and they are coding out again. (p0137 and p0157 are the codes)

Also, during this "check engine" light period there is also a very noticeable decrease in power. The car falls flat on it's face off the line and bogs out/sputters randomly during acceleration. There's no backfiring or anything like that just a feeling like it is getting choked or does not have proper air flow. I assume this has something to do with the O2 sensors not working properly?? Once I get to a desired speed it will run fine at that speed/rpm though.

Any ideas? Does my car have a breathing problem? I still have stock exhaust on there with the cold air intake and the chip. If anyone has any ideas please feel free to post them up.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2009, 11:03 PM

antione - already checked the fuse, all were fine. will check the fuel pressure.

thanks