Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Turn key, clicking sound, no starting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Formula
Engine: 305 TBI
Turn key, clicking sound, no starting?

I'm looking for some advice on a problem I've been having starting my 89 Formula. This started happening sporadically two months or so ago, and now is happening more often, even on the same day. I'll insert the key, turn it, hear a "click", and nothing will happen. Dash lights come on, radio comes on, but the starter does not engage. Thoughts, possibilities? I'm fearing the ignition lock cylinder, but that died and was replaced about 5 years ago (and it's an expensive, time consuming repair),
Old 06-28-2009, 04:48 PM

Car: 91' bird(WS6>>305TBI), 82'Regal
Re: Turn key, clicking sound, no starting?

Did you pull the starter and have it tested? I think I only paid 50 bucks for mine new!
Old 06-28-2009, 05:50 PM

Location: I'm from hawaii, but I've been going to school in Grand Forks, ND for four years now
Car: 1989 Camaro, 1991 Firebird
Engine: 305 in the chevy, 350 in the bird

Does it click every time you try to engage the starter, but just not work everytime. Or is it that you insert the key turn it and get power to everything but absolutely nothing when you click it over to the start position?

If it make a little click or light "ting" sound every time then your starter solenoid is going. When you turn the ignition it sends power to an electromagnet to make contact and engage the starter. The contacts eventually wear and go. But if you try it several times back to back it usually works after a few, at least until it's completely worn.

If it's turn key and nothing, then you, my friend have what i have, and it's got me STUMPED and pissed. Mine is completely random and basically just sometimes won't go and makes me wait (without trying in the mean time) for like 5 to 10 mins sometimes. Then it acts like nothing's wrong. I'm fearing the column too
Old 06-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 91 R/S , 89 dodge p/u
Engine: L31 GM crate re-cammed , 318
Transmission: T-5 , 4 speed auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42 , ?

try the easy stuff first . dis-connect & clean battery leads . good luck .
Old 06-28-2009, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by 3rdGenDrifter

If it's turn key and nothing, then you, my friend have what i have, and it's got me STUMPED and pissed. Mine is completely random and basically just sometimes won't go and makes me wait (without trying in the mean time) for like 5 to 10 mins sometimes. Then it acts like nothing's wrong. I'm fearing the column too
this sounds like a vats prob.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:44 PM

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 L98 Carb
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Auburn Posi

I'm having that same problem with my 92 RS... I have replaced the starter with a rebuilt unit from Autozone, brand new battery cables, replaced the starter control relay and replaced the electrical part of the ignition switch also... this was doing the same thing in a sporadic manner before I replaced the starter. My thoughts are it either being the key part of the ignition switch or the VATS module... those are the only two things that I have left to look at and determine... When I turn the key over, I hear the click sound like the solenoid is engaging, and it usually takes 2-3 or sometimes more times for me to turn the switch over and get it to engage and start the engine...
Any ideas on the matter from anyone?
Old 06-28-2009, 11:13 PM

Next time it happens I'll note the sequence of things. If it is the VATs, is there a way around that, or a way to disable it? I've never really understood the anti theft on our cars.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:41 PM

Location: I'm from hawaii, but I've been going to school in Grand Forks, ND for four years now
Car: 1989 Camaro, 1991 Firebird
Engine: 305 in the chevy, 350 in the bird

Originally Posted by whyt86roc
My thoughts are it either being the key part of the ignition switch or the VATS module... those are the only two things that I have left to look at and determine... When I turn the key over, I hear the click sound like the solenoid is engaging, and it usually takes 2-3 or sometimes more times for me to turn the switch over and get it to engage and start the engine...
If it's not a waiting thing, but rather just a repetition thing it could still be the solenoid. I had that go on my truck and I i could just sit there and try it bunch of times back to back it and it would click for sure but would take up to several tries.

PS What exactly the does the VATs system do? How does it work?
Old 06-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 91 R/S , 89 dodge p/u
Engine: L31 GM crate re-cammed , 318
Transmission: T-5 , 4 speed auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42 , ?

have you cleaned/wire brushed the battery connections yet ? they don't have to be covered with corrosion to be bad , they can look good and still not make a full connection . is the battery good & fully charged ? when was the last time you checked the battery cell levels ? the starter will not engage without full power . the radio , lights etc. will work , starter will not . don't overcomplicate the problem , make sure the basics are good first . i had a similar problem years ago , was just bad connections . good luck .
Old 06-29-2009, 06:01 PM

I just went through very similar problems on my 92 formula. I replaced the starter, did yoga moves to check all the wiring under the dash and replace the starter relay (my back still hurts from this one), then finaly I checked my ground going from the firewall to the back of the passenger side head. I wiggles the conector on the back of the head and it was loose. From what I have heard this is a common failing point and should be looked at. What I did was pulled that same ground strap, cleaned the bold on the back of the head with a brush and some brek clean, cleaned up the strap with brek clean and the mildly sanded the contact end on the wire and on the firewall. Finaly I coated EVERYTHING with dialectric grease and put it all together. I have only had one or two incidents since then but I am chalking that up to only cleaning and not replacing the ground.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. It turned out to be the starter from 1994 had finally started to die. Got that replaced and everything worked out. Well, not at first though. I got two blocks from the shop when my car died suddenly. Turns out the new starter came with a washer that was flat on the front and made poor connection to the fusible links. That was swapped out for the old one (with a serrated face) and everything seems to work now.
My mechanic pointed out if it was the ignition lock cylinder then I would not be able to turn the key.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by bitchin_buick
Did you pull the starter and have it tested? I think I only paid 50 bucks for mine new!
How much did it cost to have the shop put in a Starter for ya?
Old 07-08-2009, 12:36 PM

For the new starter, installation, and oil change came to $250.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:12 PM

Car: 1989 camaro Rs or iroc clone??
Engine: 5.oh tpi
Transmission: borg warner t5 world class
Axle/Gears: 3.23-GU5

Originally Posted by whyt86roc
I'm having that same problem with my 92 RS... I have replaced the starter with a rebuilt unit from Autozone, brand new battery cables, replaced the starter control relay and replaced the electrical part of the ignition switch also... this was doing the same thing in a sporadic manner before I replaced the starter. My thoughts are it either being the key part of the ignition switch or the VATS module... those are the only two things that I have left to look at and determine... When I turn the key over, I hear the click sound like the solenoid is engaging, and it usually takes 2-3 or sometimes more times for me to turn the switch over and get it to engage and start the engine...
check the starter cable to the batery most of the time u get exposed wireing and it wont start even with a new unit!
Old 07-09-2009, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by my89
For the new starter, installation, and oil change came to $250.
Sounds reasonable considering you didn't have to fight the starter to go in.... My exhaust was in the way and had to take the cylinoid off the starter. Mount the new starter and reattache the cylinoid to the starter. In Febuary (N.W.Ohio) $250 >> Reasonable Deal!