Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car stalls then won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car stalls then won't start.

Hello, i have a 89 rs 305 tbi l03.
I have only had the car for a few months and since i have had it it stalls at random times when at low rpm to idle, it happens about once a week, it's normally not a big deal because it will start right up again and run fine. The problem is when it doesnt want to start again, starter wont turn, battery will have enough power but starter wont engage, sometimes the starter will engage but only for a split second. The starting problem also occures vary rarely when parked cold or hot engine, i get in to go for a drive and get nothing.
The way i get around this problem is simply by waiting, sometimes five minutes sometimes ten,20,(not fun in the middle of the road or traffic). ive tryed bypassing the celenoid with a screwdriver a few times and it doesnt seem to want to work although it did once. So at first i thought that was the problem but that wouldnt explain the stalling and not starting being consecutive, it would just be random.
I was told that the torque converter can cause stalling, and i think mine is pretty gone, late shifts(automatique), takes 3-5 seconds to engage in drive or reverse.
Also im not sure if my valves can have anything to do with the stalling but just for the record when i start the car i get a big cloud out the exaughts, from what i know thats just the valves.
Thank you for your help, anything helps.