Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

no start, not even a click

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009 | 09:18 PM

Car: 1990 firebird
Engine: 5.0 liter
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: ???
no start, not even a click

1990 firbird, 5.0, 5spd
here is my problem. in the last month or so the car would not start twice, not even a click. put the key in and everything comes on like normal, push the clutch in and turn the key and nothing, not even trying. First thing i thought was the battery but usually it will atleast try. so i checked out the battery and it was fine. i disconnected the battery and let it sit for a minute still nothing. hooked the jump pack up and it started, but that dosnt make any sence. the only two things i can think of is the switch in the clutch, or the vats(key or lock cylinder) it dosnt do it most of the time which makes it difficult to diag. like i said only twice in the last month. so i am out of ideas. anyone else ever have this problem and what did it end up being?
Old 06-21-2009 | 09:49 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 V8
Transmission: Auto
Re: no start, not even a click

I would also asume that its eather the Vats or the clutch .... I believe the Vats is actualy a resistor.... id check the OHMS of the vats resistor...(for an ohm check youll have to take the resistor out of the circute)..

and then check the resistance of the key... if they are more then say..... 9% off id say the VATS is falling out of tollerance... or the key... if there prety close.... keep trouble shooting....

also try to think back When did the no starts all happen when it was say 100 degrees outside or relly cold... were they after the car has allready ran or after its sat for a few days.... have you checked to make sure your ground wire isnt louse?
Old 06-22-2009 | 07:41 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 with stuffs.
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 Posi
Re: no start, not even a click

Is the Security light on all the time when it doesn't want to start? It should come on briefly then go out.