Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Injector Install... Does this look right?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: L98 bored .40 (357 ci)
Transmission: Race Ready 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70 posi
Injector Install... Does this look right?

Hey,

I just installed 8 new Ford M-9593-AA302 24# injectors into my fuel rail and I have a few questions. Before I put fuel pressure to the rail I just want to be sure that I got this done right.

First off I have done many many many searches on here and I think I got the right info on how to install these injectors.

1. Since the Bosch Design III - EV6 injectors are slightly shorter (installed length as I measured from o-ring to o-ring is 1 mm in the difference), I went ahead and installed a second o-ring on the bottom where it slides into the lower intake. Maybe I didn't need to install this second o-ring but I had lots of o-rings so why not.

2. I replaced all of the o-rings with GM o-rings, but to be honest I really don't see the difference, the Ford o-rings look identical to the GM o-rings, maybe since these are newer injectors they changed the o-rings and I think some said before that the Ford o-rings were not as thick? I couldn't see any difference though..

3. I couldn't figure out how to use the stock retainer clips on the new injectors... there is a slot on the new injectors but the clips won't work, would need a different clip... not sure if I need them or not.

Here are some pics... the drivers side injector bank seemed to sit deeper in the lower intake than the passenger side, by maybe half the width of an o-ring.

If anybody can take a look and let me know if they see anything wrong it would be appreciated.

Name:  IMG_6126.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  83.2 KB
Name:  IMG_6127.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  97.9 KB
Name:  IMG_6129.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  60.5 KB
Name:  IMG_6130.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  171.9 KB
Old 06-13-2009, 06:05 AM

Re: Injector Install... Does this look right?

Injectors into the rail and seated in the lower intake...fuel rail not bolted down tight, just laid in and injectors pushed in.

Drivers side

Name:  IMG_6131.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  97.9 KB
Name:  IMG_6132.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  118.2 KB

Passenger side

Name:  IMG_6134.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  76.5 KB
Name:  IMG_6135.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  91.2 KB
Old 06-13-2009, 06:06 AM

Pics with the rail bolted down and connectors attached.

Drivers side

Name:  IMG_6140.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  87.8 KB
Name:  IMG_6141.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  57.7 KB

Passenger side

Name:  IMG_6137.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  78.1 KB
Name:  IMG_6138.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  95.0 KB
Old 06-13-2009, 07:58 AM
Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Aboslutely perfect!!! Don't worry about the overall length of the injectors because it is that second oring that will give it the elevation that it needs to make up for that couple of mm difference in height. Just make sure that the second oring isn't pushed down into the intake.
By the way, these injectors do not require a clip, they are a newer style and the pressure from the fuel rail is what holds them in place.

From what i can see looks like you did it correctly. Great job!

This is what we have been trying to explain, a picture says a thousand words... Thanks

www.southbayfuelinjectors.com

Last edited by southbay08; 06-13-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:03 AM

Ok thanks.... so maybe I have the drivers side bank pushed a little to far down into the intake as the second o-ring is sort of too far down in there, from what you say what I have done on the passenger side is the better install as the second o-ring just sort of sits into the intake and not squat down there?

What about the clips? Should I try and find some clips that will work with these injectors or try and fabricate some? I really can't see how the injector can move down or up though because once the rail is bolted down I can't move them up or down, they are seated in place... but who knows what engine vibration might do?

Also, I have a question about these Bosch III injectors from FIC... I am just interested in how they modify the injectors so they sit perfectly, no modifcations required, same as stock Multec/Bosch injectors.... you can't stretch them, only thing I can see is if they remove the bottom piece out of the injector and put in a new longer piece where the actual injector nozzle is... just curious...
Old 06-13-2009, 09:20 AM

I was a little confused by this pic that member "Theking" had posted about his install of Bosch III injectors in his intake/fuel rail... he indicates that the injector on the left which is pushed down into the intake far enough that the second o-ring is not visible, is the correct way to install these injectors...

Just trying to get all the info before I put fuel pressure to the rail.

Name:  bosch3-12.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  28.8 KB

Last edited by 87ROCZ; 06-13-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by 87ROCZ
Ok thanks.... so maybe I have the drivers side bank pushed a little to far down into the intake as the second o-ring is sort of too far down in there, from what you say what I have done on the passenger side is the better install as the second o-ring just sort of sits into the intake and not squat down there?

What about the clips? Should I try and find some clips that will work with these injectors or try and fabricate some? I really can't see how the injector can move down or up though because once the rail is bolted down I can't move them up or down, they are seated in place... but who knows what engine vibration might do?

Also, I have a question about these Bosch III injectors from FIC... I am just interested in how they modify the injectors so they sit perfectly, no modifcations required, same as stock Multec/Bosch injectors.... you can't stretch them, only thing I can see is if they remove the bottom piece out of the injector and put in a new longer piece where the actual injector nozzle is... just curious...
These injectors do not need the clips! they are a newer style so the pressure from the fuel rail holds them in place.
There are no modifications to the actual injector itself. The nozzle has nothing to do with additional length, it is the second oring or spacer that gives it the additional length so they sit just right in the fuel rail.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Sponsor

Look we give instructions on installation regarding our injectors, we can not speak for other companies. But in our experience pushing the second oring down into the intake defeats the purpose, they will still be too short so fuel may squirt out. We find that it is better to have the second oring sit right on top or outside the intake. We have never, ever had a problem or complaint if our installation instructions were followed properly.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Sponsor

I was a little confused by this pic that member "Theking" had posted about his install of Bosch III injectors in his intake/fuel rail... he indicates that the injector on the left which is pushed down into the intake far enough that the second o-ring is not visible, is the correct way to install these injectors...

Just trying to get all the info before I put fuel pressure to the rail.

see my post below.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by southbay08
Look we give instructions on installation regarding our injectors, we can not speak for other companies. But in our experience pushing the second oring down into the intake defeats the purpose, they will still be too short so fuel may squirt out. We find that it is better to have the second oring sit right on top or outside the intake. We have never, ever had a problem or complaint if our installation instructions were followed properly.
Cool... thank you for your replies. I feel confident that by following your previous instructions in other posts, and by looking at it and sizing it up myself (it is always the best way ) that I have this done right.

I here you about the second o-ring, it makes total sense to me, the most important part is for the injector to seat properly in the rail as that is where the pressure is, wouldn't want that end of the injector to slip out, the injector seat in the intake need only sit in the hole and make a solid seal as to avoid vacuum leaks, all the while keeping the business end of the injector pointed into the head.

Stan
Old 06-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Sponsor

Cool... thank you for your replies. I feel confident that by following your previous instructions in other posts, and by looking at it and sizing it up myself (it is always the best way ) that I have this done right.

I here you about the second o-ring, it makes total sense to me, the most important part is for the injector to seat properly in the rail as that is where the pressure is, wouldn't want that end of the injector to slip out, the injector seat in the intake need only sit in the hole and make a solid seal as to avoid vacuum leaks, all the while keeping the business end of the injector pointed into the head.

Stan
Hey Stan, couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!

If you ever have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact us!