Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Topic that has been beat to death ... but I need opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009 | 09:18 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Trans Am, 1991 Firebird
Engine: 355 TPI, 3.1L V6
Transmission: 700R4 in both
Topic that has been beat to death ... but I need opinions...

I know this subject has been beat to death but I'm looking for opinions on my situation. My '86 TA sits alot, mostly due to gas mileage/gas price, and sits all winter outside usually without being started for 3 months or longer. Keep in mind before reading further that this is a low mileage engine and used to be my daily driver but I bought a '91 Firebird for gas mileage and drive it daily now. Back in Spring of 2008, after the TA had sat all winter without starting, I started it up and did the typical checks which obviously includes checking the oil. The oil seemed a little "milky" looking which concerned me mildly. I went ahead and drained the oil which didn't appear to have much water/condensation in it and put new oil in it, ran it for a bit, and then changed the oil and filter. I drove it for a month or two on weekends, checking the oil regularly and didn't notice the "milky" condition return so I figured it was probably condensation build up in the engine from sitting all winter. I took it out one day, probably in May or June of last year, and when I came out of the movie store it wouldn't start (ignition issue). So since gas was so high back then I didn't get in a big hurry to fix the problem. Therefore, the car sat for a year without being started. Yesterday I fixed the problem and started the engine. I then checked the oil and found it to be "milky" again. I'm thinking to myself that it's just condensation that has built up in the engine due to sitting for a year without be started. At least that's what I'm hoping. I really don't think it's a head gasket or anything like that but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue after starting an engine that has sit through weather changes for a year or so. Any opinions, thoughts, or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-10-2009 | 10:59 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 T/A, 83 Z/28
Engine: 5.0 TPI, 350 2 X 4 bbl
Transmission: 4 speed auto, 5 speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi, 3.73 std
Re: Topic that has been beat to death ... but I need opinions...

Well if it dosnt occure again i wouldnt worrie about it. It could be just condenced water which will vary drastically depending on where and how it was stored. You could always try running a coolent system pressure check to be safe. Maby a conpression check.
Old 05-10-2009 | 01:11 PM
Banned

Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

I'd suggest instead of just letting it SIT......Start it up once a month, run it around the block & let it hit operating temp.

That'll keep all the drive line bearings lubed, as well as burn off any condensation in the engine.

No real advice on what to do now, sorry. I've never had a car sit for more than a few days without being driven.
Old 05-11-2009 | 11:58 AM

Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: 5.7Fl V8 350 tpi
Transmission: 700R4 Automatic

When i got my 91 camaro it sat in my stop for over 2 years and the oil was "milky" got a oil change and it's my Daily now but when i do check it it's totally fine but now it has problems and it has sat for going on 2 weeks now so is that going to affect anything (fuel filter, Oil,) will the gas still be good?
Old 05-11-2009 | 12:05 PM
Banned

Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

2 weeks isn't gonna kill gas. I only fill up once a month on average.
Old 05-11-2009 | 12:12 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock

last time i saw milky oil it was due to a small leak allowing coolant to seep into the oil. i think i saw it on this board.
letting it sit in freezing temps will cause the water, coolant, block and heads to contract and expand at different rates. that might be part of the problem.
i dont know how cold it gets there but it might be worth the money to buy a heater for the car - it fits through the radiator, keeps the coolant warm and circulates it. cant remember it is was through the radiator or not but it was electric. had to use it back east when i was there for a while.