Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Starter gear not meshing..............

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi
Starter gear not meshing..............

I just replaced my starter with an F body LT1 starter. Sometimes it works just fine, sometimes all I hear is the clank of what I assume to be the gear actuating and just hitting the flywheel gear and it doesn't crank. I've tried playing with the alignment and it still does it sometimes and I can't start the car. I tried it with no shims, and I tried it with both included shims. The one I took off was also an LT1 starter and it worked perfectly (before it went) without shims. Might i need more shims? What else can I check? It never grinds, just a clink and nothing. The battery is fine. When it does work, it works great.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '88 IROC-Z medium orange metallic
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Starter gear not meshing..............

Did you check to make sure all of the teeth are still there? Sounds like you either have a section of the flexplate that's missing teeth or you have the mesh set too tight.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 S10 Blazer
Engine: TBI 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

Presumably, when it goes 'clank' it's not spinning?

Sounds like the contacts in the solenoid itself are toast (it'll still pull in, just won't spin).
Old 04-21-2009, 05:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Had the exact same problem with my LT1 (parts store rebuild) starter a few years back. You're right- the clank is the solenoid trying to extend the gear but it just hits tooth-to-tooth against the flexplate gear and doesn't drop in. I actually crawled under the car and watched the engagement, or rather the lack of it. My case was rather extreme- sometimes I could hit the starter a dozen times or more in a row before it would engage. Once it did engage it would crank the engine over just fine. Like you, I tried shimming a zillion different ways with no effect.

Long story short, the spur gear on the starter was simply machined incorrectly. I took it back for an identical replacement and it worked fine forever after and with no shims.

While I had the new one and the old one laying next to eachother I compared the gears on them. The "problem child" had noticably fatter teeth on it than the good starter.