Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

smog/exhaust help

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009 | 11:05 PM
15 Year Member

Car: '83 Z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
smog/exhaust help

I'm trying to replace the smog tubes on the drivers side exhaust on my '83 LG4. My problem is, I still have one of the tube nuts still in the exhaust manifold. I was able to get the other three out with some trouble. But this last one is being a P.I.T.A.They have ( as far as I know ) been in the car since new. Looking at it, I have a couple options - A. keep tryin to get it out with penetrating oil/vise grips B. take the manifold off the car and get it out with heat or other means. or C- toss the stock exhaust, and go with headers that have built in AIR tubes.
Old 04-11-2009 | 11:19 PM

Car: 1985 Camaro
Engine: V6
Transmission: T-56
Re: smog/exhaust help

If it wouldn't be too much trouble I would opt for taking the manifold out and doing it from there. If all else fails, cut the bolt out or go for the power package and get headers.
Old 04-12-2009 | 08:22 AM
15 Year Member

Car: '83 Z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I'm leaning towards that option. I was looking at it and even though the car has 66,some-odd miles on it, it's gonna take some work to get the manifold off cause of some rust and I'm pretty sure nothing's been taking apart since the car was new.I'm just afraid of breaking bolts/studs.

Headers would be nice as well, but my first Z28 had them, and changing plugs was such a pain. I kinda like doing a plug swap in less than an hour.
Old 04-12-2009 | 03:00 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88' IROCZ
Engine: 388 TPI Motown 350 Race block
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77

When I built my engine I had to have headers, but on my car they cause problems with the O2 which was solved with a heated O2.