Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

'91 305 Tbi starts then dies....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009 | 07:46 PM

Car: ?????
Engine: ?????
Transmission: ?????
Axle/Gears: ??????
'91 305 Tbi starts then dies....

Hey everyone, been a member for a while, but this is my first post. I know you guys like the info so I will give it my best.
I have a 1991 RS with the 305 Tbi, I just bought it recently and this is the first time I am trying to start the car. I have partially rebuilt the tbi, with a new IAC valve and gaskets and o-rings, I even cleaned it real well. I just today replaced the spark plugs and wires, and it seems to being doing better, but I can not keep it running once it starts. I believe all the vacuum lines are good and not leaking, and since I cleaned up the tbi I get a nice cone shaped spray pattern, and for a few seconds it runs great.....then is just dies. Also when I start it, I don't have to touch the pedal, it just starts, but as soon as I try to touch the pedal it dies. I did check the SES light and all I get is the 12 12 12 and it keeps giving me 12's. The security light comes on when I turn the key and then goes out like I figure it should. The gas sprays just fine even when it does momentarliy idle. It also doesn't matter if I pour gas in the tbi or use starter fluid same reponse.

Basically I just need a little direction, I have dealt mostly with carb's and my other camaro has no computer so I have never had to deal with this.

Any insight would be great, and just fyi, I have done some searching, but it seems like I just can't get a comparable answer or maybe I did and just didn't realixze it.

thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2009 | 08:07 PM
On Probation

Car: seeking '90.5-'92 'bird hardtop
Engine: several
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: none
Re: '91 305 Tbi starts then dies....

TPS should throw a code, so should a vacuum leak. I'm wondering if the fuel pump stops getting voltage when the engine starts.
Old 03-16-2009 | 12:42 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 75 Beast
Engine: 383 +EBL Flash
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.11 with 33"

Check your fuel pressure before anything else. You can force FP to operate (bypassing relay or via ALDL connector). The symptoms that you are describing are typical of a fuel starvation.

//RF
Old 03-16-2009 | 12:59 AM

Car: 89 RS
Engine: 305 TBI (lo3)
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Whatever is stock.

I hope this helps. Most simple thing, but my car did it to me a week or so ago. Had it in the drive running when it ran out of gas. Must have pulled some junk in the filter cause its fine after I changed it. It would start up then die, but I could keep it running most of the time if I kept pumping the gas as it tried to die again. Then it was fine till I shut it off. Might not help your problem but its worth a look see. The filter was cheep.

Last edited by STRIKER911; 03-16-2009 at 01:02 AM. Reason: wrong info
Old 03-17-2009 | 07:51 PM

Car: ?????
Engine: ?????
Transmission: ?????
Axle/Gears: ??????

Thanks for the ideas! I have been messing with the cara bit, while I am waiting to check the fuel pressure. I had a fuel filter that I changed, and I only have a couple of questions.
1) is it possible that the injectors could be insuffencient even if they both measure 1.6 ohms?
2) If the fuel pump kicks on and primes and then kicks off when I turn the key on, wouldn't that indicate that the fuel pump could be good?

Just for kicks I used some starter fluid and i can keep it running if I spray it every time it sounds like it is going to die.
Well all I got at the moment.

thanks in advance