Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Major 4.3 problems. (lifter, cam, wrist-pin?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1L
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: open 3.23
Major 4.3 problems. (lifter, cam, wrist-pin?)

Hey all. Ive got a major problem, that didn't start as one. I bought a 95 chev fullsize w/a 4.3 vortech v6. Ive known the truck for a long time, and its had a characteristic knock for as long as I can remember..

Well, a few days after I got it, I found the knock was "more prominant" towards the bottom, passenger side of the motor. It very much sounds like two metallics hitting against each other.

Now a week after I get the truck the knock progressivly gets worse over the course of 3 weeks. At first was being faintly noticed from outside the truck, is now heard in the cab, under the hood, a good distance outside, and even out the back of the exhaust!

Also, as a side note, when turning the motor off, you can actually hear what sounds like something actually falling back into a resting position inside the block!

Well, last week, I left my truck parked, then come back to start up and head home. It stumbled to an idle, and when put into gear, was surging and shaking. I try to exit the parking lot and it is missing horribly.

Ive thought it was a lifter for the longest. im told it could also be a wrist-pin. But, is this what would happen if the lifter actually ate the lobe off my cam?

If so, why would it happen without warning, between startups?

I need some opinions and any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A, 83 Z/28
Engine: 5.0 TPI, 350 2 X 4 bbl
Transmission: 4 speed auto, 5 speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi, 3.73 std
Re: Major 4.3 problems. (lifter, cam, wrist-pin?)

Well assuming it has roller lifters that pretty much eliminated wiped cam lobes plus if that were the case it wouldnt me a heavy knock it would be more of a tick. I suspect you have a problem in your bottom end. To be sure though pull one spark plug wire at a time (with insulated pliers) and see if you pull one and the sound changes. If it does you have a problem in the bottom end on that cylinder. If not well look into other possabilities.