Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

1991 RS TBI With 350(Problem)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 RS (In project) 350 TBI
Engine: 350 TBI Pulled From 87 Chev Truck
Transmission: stock Manual 5 speed
Axle/Gears: stock
1991 RS TBI With 350(Problem)

The car will simply not start. Let me give you a little detail so you know were im at on this thing.

The motor I put in the car is a fairly new crate engine pulled from my uncles 1987 truck. The motor runs with out a doubt. Had it running in the truck. The problems start here and the only thing i can figure is its some were in the electrical system.

The fuel pump was bad in it so I put in new one. The motor cranks damn good and all the plugs are hot, the tbi is hot and its getting fuel to the tbi.

One problem I have noticed is for some reason the pump will not prime but the fuel pump will run after i start cranking on it for a little while. I replaced both relays, the one for the fuel pump and the cooling fan.(Didnt know what one was witch so I got to new ones they both are the same and sit side by side in a 6x6 inch bracket) When truthfully that shouldn't matter cause if you crank long enough on the engine the relay is bypassed and the fuel pump is powered by the (OPSU) oil pressure sending unit. (I can hear the fuel pump run while im cranking it over, and also took off the lines while im cranking it over to watch for fuel and it came out like a river)

So heres where im at the fire and fuel are there but it just wont start. Brand new selonoid and i cant get it to prime the fuel pump. Witch like i said before shouldnt matter after you crank the motor long enough cause damnit man once that fuel pump gets to pumping the gas flows like a waterfall.

Also theres a very small crimp in the sending fuel line about a foot down from the inlet of the tbi on the fuel line where it wraps around the intake manifold. The tbi is getting fuel but maybe it could be affecting the pressure of the fuel to the tbi and making it to low to start? Maybe that relay and 2 second prime not working is why it wont start? Like i said theres fuel and everythings hot! Maybe the car just likes being an a**hole and somehow figured out my first truck was a ford? Idk But

Im baffled and dont know where to start?

Throw any suggestions to me pros and noobs dont be scared.

Your help would be much appreciated!
Old 02-16-2009, 07:26 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Z28
Engine: Sb2.2 406
Transmission: Jerico 4 speed
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 3.60
Re: 1991 RS TBI With 350(Problem)

Are the injectors firing? Spray starting fluid down the throat while cranking, if it fires, stutters, shes not getting fuel down the throat.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:52 PM

Car: 91 RS (In project) 350 TBI
Engine: 350 TBI Pulled From 87 Chev Truck
Transmission: stock Manual 5 speed
Axle/Gears: stock

Yea it will fire with a lil either. I forgot to put that in my previos post. Is there any way the throttle body could be clogged? Or that small crimp in the fuel could be stopping the pressure to build up enough?
Old 02-17-2009, 12:10 AM

Car: 1987 iroc z
Engine: 350tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 342

check the fuel pressure i believe it should be like 13-14 on a tbi car