Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Starter with metal shavings Powermaster 9100

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter with metal shavings Powermaster 9100

Ok, (305 TBI 92 RS) starter is a powermaster 9100
I have replaced the stock starter with a powermaster mini starter,, i never here any grinding or high pitch sounds so i assumed the 1 shim was good.

well 2 weeks ago the starter started spinning continuosly and i thought it was a bad soleniod or stuck on the flywheel,, etc...

well, 2 days ago it got stuck on and had to disconnect the battery cable again,, but for some reason it engaged the starter on its own and my car was turning over on its own,,not to mention some sparking and what looked like flames coming from the starter area,, meanwhile the car is rolling forward since my E-brake SUX,,, about killed me,, but i made it,, ended up hitting my truck,, but i have a bull bar on it,,, whew!!!!!!

so tonight i took off the starter to find the DAMN SOLENOID WAS TOTALLY LOOSE (hanging there off of the starter),, THE SCREWS CAME OUT OF IT, and there were some metal shavings on the base around the gear on the end of the starter? no wonder why it never stopped spinning)

my flywheel is slightly grinded,, not terrible,,

how do i fix this?? do i need more shims or less??? i am only using 1 similar to factory shim.

starter appears fine,,,, i will get it tested tomorrow to be sure. only used it about 30 times.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A, 83 Z/28
Engine: 5.0 TPI, 350 2 X 4 bbl
Transmission: 4 speed auto, 5 speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi, 3.73 std
Re: Starter with metal shavings Powermaster 9100

well it really depends you may need more you may need less what your really need to do is take of the dust cover on the transmission and measure the clearance between the flywheel and the starter gear and adjust with shims till its within spec. I dont remeber what the clearance is off hand but the instructions should tell you what the clearance is.