Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

HELP!!! TPS and Idle Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 334 Stroker Superram 222/230
Transmission: Full Manual 700R4 / 3k Street Edge
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Eaton, Moser, Richmond & More
HELP!!! TPS and Idle Problems!

Well guys, I've made two more videos for you all to take a look at and tell me what you think.

The first video is regarding the TPS. The one that was on the car when I bought it was the newer style non adjustable TPS. I knew that a PO had put the wrong one on and on top of that it was giving some strange readings. So I ordered a new one from a guy here on TGO which was the correct style for my car. After reading it with a voltmeter, it did the exact same thing the last one did. I said in the video that a possibility could have been the guy sent me another messed up one, but as you will see the voltage fluctuation pattern is pretty consistent throughout every 100th of a volt, so now that I think about tI seriously doubt that. I'm thinking possibly a problem with the ECM, the wiring or even a bad VOM. I highly doubt this is normal, but maybe it is and theres something I missed.

The second video is of the idle problem. After I installed the new TPS, I had EXTREME difficulty adjusting the IAC because when I started the engine in field service mode, it ran almost like it was still being controlled by the ECM. No matter what position the IAC was at, the engine would idle at 1000 for a bit and then drop down to 550. Right when I thought I had it properly adjusted at 650, I'd shut it down and try starting in field service mode again and it would either hold at 1000 or back down to 500 - 550. It was like the idle was still being controlled by the IAC valve. While the engine was running, the CES light would blink rapidly for a bit, then blink slowly, then rapidly again. I'm not too experienced with running field service mode so could someone clarify this?

After I got everything adjusted to the best of my abilities, I started the engine like normal. Idle holds at about a smooth 600 while in N or P. But while in D or R and holding the brake at a dead stop, it will loiter around 500 dipping below even this at certain points. You will see this in the video. It occured to me after I shot the video that this is most likely due to my car MISSING the TCC/Cruise switch that goes on the brake pedal. Anyone out there please give me some input as to what is going on here!

TPS Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCMfKE2VsZs

Idle Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHFM-z8PvRI
Old 02-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Supreme Member

Re: HELP!!! TPS and Idle Problems!

Anyone?
Old 02-04-2009, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Iroc Z-28
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:27

Dont kow if youve figured this out yet. . . But first thing you will need is haynes, or preferably 82-92 Chiltons manual, then you will need 2-3 inch jumper wire to troubleshoot your ALDL. After that go to check engine codes in your manual and it will explain it, I dont wont to tell you how without looking at book, but it has the codes you will need as well and I would do this so that you can erase some old codes as well. But the forums on here are very useful. . . Let me know if I can help any more .
Old 02-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Gdav
Dont kow if youve figured this out yet. . . But first thing you will need is haynes, or preferably 82-92 Chiltons manual, then you will need 2-3 inch jumper wire to troubleshoot your ALDL. After that go to check engine codes in your manual and it will explain it, I dont wont to tell you how without looking at book, but it has the codes you will need as well and I would do this so that you can erase some old codes as well. But the forums on here are very useful. . . Let me know if I can help any more .
I've done all that. The paper clip trick was the first thing I ever learned how to do with my car.

Other than a lean O2 and VSS code, the ECM has never thrown me anything other than a MAF code and that's because I pulled out one morning without letting it fully warm up (When the dead spot on 1/4 throttle was still present).
Old 02-04-2009, 08:40 PM

Car: 87 Iroc Z-28
Engine: 350 tpi
Axle/Gears: 3:27

Unless youve already been to the technical page of this site , and went through the steps described in tuning, I would try and see if your timing isnt a little advanced (but that wouldnt make it flucuate though). Try Testing your EGR , replacing MAP sensor , check vacuum hoses (or test vaccum pressure ) . Just trying to point out a couple things that would, or could go wrong , cause I know for a fact I usually miss the simple things ang get paranoid all the time . . . Hope this helps .
Old 02-10-2009, 12:03 AM

Car: 86 Camaro iroc-z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi

i got an 86 with a 305 tpi. i unfortunately have idle problems aswell and am throwing a bad tps code, i think, code 13 i think, or something like that. whats the reason for adjusting the iacv? does your car have a rough idle when in d or park?
Old 02-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Supreme Member

Rough idle while in D. Smooth while in P or N.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:39 AM

Car: 86 Camaro iroc-z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi

Originally Posted by FireDemonSiC
Rough idle while in D. Smooth while in P or N.

sounds like the iacv may be gummed up. try spraying some carb cleaner in with the throttle fins wide opened. it helped my car with its stalling problem
Old 02-10-2009, 04:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92 GTA/ 00 TA
Engine: 383/350
Transmission: 700R4/T-56

Looks like you either have a bad 5v going to the tps or the signal coming out of the TPS is bad. Short of replacing the tps again you could check the power, signal, and ground wires of the tps for breaks.
There's an iac cleaning procedure posted on here somewhere by Vader. Do a search for it and it may help you out.