Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Have some q's regarding flying magnet trigger wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's
Have some q's regarding flying magnet trigger wheels

Im going to be running a later model vortec PCM and SFI on my older block. Normally with a flat tappet, this wouldnt be an issue as I could use the stock vortec TC cover, trigger wheel, and sensor. BUT, I have an aftermarket roller cam setup, so the plastic vortec cover is out of the picture.

I've been thinking of maybe using an aftermarket magnetic trigger wheel with an inductive pickup. My question is, though, how much does the signal amplitude/timing vary with these setups as teh engine RPMs change? Are the pulses stable, or does it tend to drift around due to the "AC generator" effect? The waveform shape isnt as much of an issue as I can use some circuitry to generate a pulse thats compatible with the PCM, but if the pulses start coming sooner as the engine speed picks up, it'll throw the timing and injector firings off and even set a DTC if its bad enough.

Also, is there a standard polarity for the magnets in the wheel? Like, do all the field lines point north or south, or do they just randomly bonk the magnets in? I'm trying to get a hall effect pickup from crane, but I dont think it will happen. MSD makes a hall effect pickup that could be adapted, but it will only trigger with the proper magnetic orientation.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
Re: Have some q's regarding flying magnet trigger wheels

You'll be using the zero crossing, so there won't be any problems with amplitude.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '81 Z-28
Engine: Soon to be a 383
Transmission: Muncie
Axle/Gears: 3.42

This may sound stupid. Since the vortec is already a roller, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just get a cam ground for it, that allows use of the front cover? Or maybe adapting the vortec peices to a metal cover? It seems like it would just take a drill and some patience.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Apeiron
You'll be using the zero crossing, so there won't be any problems with amplitude.
Good point. With that said, I would assume that there is a polarity to the magnets then? In other words, I can expect to see the same waveform for each cylinder reference pulse? It would seem to be that way if you wanted to trigger on the falling edge of each pulse. If the wave starts out positive, then I could just trigger when it goes slightly negative. That would be the zero crossing (or near to it).

Edit: Now that you have the little wheels turning in my head... It would seem that a simple schmitt trigger with the proper negative trigger threshold would be all that would be needed.

Last edited by dimented24x7; 12-01-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by doc221978
This may sound stupid. Since the vortec is already a roller, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just get a cam ground for it, that allows use of the front cover? Or maybe adapting the vortec peices to a metal cover? It seems like it would just take a drill and some patience.
That thought had crossed my mind. Maybe just using a modified stock timing set and trying to weld in a bung for the sensor. But, it requires a good deal of precision to place the sensor. Its feasible to just add degree bias' for the injector and igntion firings if the placement of the sensor is off, but there are other subtleties as the crank trigger pulse is the prime mover for the software code in the PCM. Much of the software code is only run when a crank trigger pulse is recieved and the computer calculates the fueling on the fly, so precision is important. Id also like to try to just use existing off the shelf parts to minimize the ammount of fabrication needed.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '81 Z-28
Engine: Soon to be a 383
Transmission: Muncie
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Just a thought. I always have an easier time with the mechanical side. If I tried all the programming and everything you were doing..... the engine would never run.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by dimented24x7
Good point. With that said, I would assume that there is a polarity to the magnets then? In other words, I can expect to see the same waveform for each cylinder reference pulse? It would seem to be that way if you wanted to trigger on the falling edge of each pulse. If the wave starts out positive, then I could just trigger when it goes slightly negative. That would be the zero crossing (or near to it).
All the magnets on a given setup will be the same. The polarity of the magnet determines which direction the zero crossing goes.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Supreme Member

All the magnets on a given setup will be the same. The polarity of the magnet determines which direction the zero crossing goes.
Ok, so its safe to assume that they're either all south facing out or all north facing out?
Old 12-01-2008, 03:47 PM

It's safe to assume that the waveform will be the same on every crossing.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by doc221978
Just a thought. I always have an easier time with the mechanical side. If I tried all the programming and everything you were doing..... the engine would never run.
Yeah, Im still keeping that option open. I'm contemplating picking up a stock cover and sensor to see what kind of effort would be needed. My other thought was to possibly use an external custom 4-tooth wheel.
----------
It's safe to assume that the waveform will be the same on every crossing.
Cool. So then it would be just a matter of flipping the wires on the sensor to get the desired direction for the external schmitt trigger.

Last edited by dimented24x7; 12-01-2008 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost