Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

No Spark? VATS Related?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008 | 09:05 PM

Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
No Spark? VATS Related?

Well i have a project car that i bought that doenst run. I was told the fuel pump was bad and replaced that and injectors and basically the entire fuel delivery end of things. The car still doesnt start and it appears to be having an issue with no spark. To test for spark i through the timing light on and tried it on different plug wire and got nothing as i cranked it. Next i put the timing light hooked up to the remote coil wire and still nothing. So i replaced the coil and wire and still nothing.

My first question is: Was my method for checking for spark ok? And if so it looks like the problem is before the coil.

My second question is: Could this be VATS related? Does VATS cut out spark? The car cranks and i get fuel,just no spark.

My last question: I can get a complete stock distributor from some guy around the corner from me. Should i just swap it out and be done with it? Do you guys think it will fix the problem? Im sure its a bad module or maybe pick up coil causing the problem. If one of those things are bad do i have to remove the distributor anyway to change the module or pick up coil.

The car is an 89 GTA 350 TPI with HEI and remote coil. Thanks...Al in NJ
Old 10-16-2008 | 08:40 AM

Car: '91 Camaro 305V8, '91 Camaro 3.1V6
Re: No Spark? VATS Related?

that last thing you want to do is throw more money at a problem you havev't troubleshooted. We have probably all been there If he will let you try the distributor before you buy it or if it is free it may be faster/easier to swap the distributor then it would be to troubleshoot the issue.

Have you pulled the cap off the distributor yet? One of my friends let his '64 Nova sit for a few years. He had put the distributor cap on to help keep moisture out of it. He did not have a rotor for it at the time. By the time he got to working no it he couldn't figure out why he wasn't getting spark. It took a day and a case of beer or two, but we eventually figured it out Also check the wires inside the distributor for the pickup coil. Sometimes they are just long enough to get squished by the cap if you're not paying attention.

Other then that test your pickup coil and ignition module. If they are both good you may have a wiring or computer issue.
Old 10-18-2008 | 11:17 PM

Well i just wanted to get some opinions. Plus I didnt know if the VATS interferes with spark on our cars.

So i began some trouble shooting when the wife ran off to the store. The coil i replaced but i test anyways and if check out GOOD with the voltmeter. Next i tested for 12 volts going to the ciol and it check out good also. The ignition module appears to be aftermarket and has been replaced at some point so im guessing it OK. I did how ever see rust on all of the contacts under the inside of the cap. And the shaft the rotor sits on has rust all over the place. The top of the round thing ontop looks pretty rusty too, im guessing that the mag pick up or a cover to it im looking at. Inside it loks like there is some greenish rust even.

Now i see after i take off the rotor to get to the pick up coil it looks like there is a round shiled of some sort maybe just pressed inplace surrounding the pick up coil. How is that removed. Do i just have to pull straight up on it?
And do i have to remove it to test the pick up coil?
----------
Also, could something as simple as a rusty shaft, and rusty cap cause no spark from the coil???

Last edited by TPI86TA; 10-18-2008 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-19-2008 | 09:43 PM

I found the problem. I assumed the module was ok since i saw it was newer and figured maybe it was the pick up coil that was bad. So i got a cheap replacement distributor from some guy parting a GTA for $40. I was just going to swap them out but i figured id try swapping the modules out just to see if maybe the one was defective. And sure enough i got spark. A couple slight adjustments of the distributor and the car ran for the first time in a few years.