Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Please Help 92 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird Formula
Engine: 350
Please Help 92 Firebird

I just purchased a 1992 Firebird V-6 3.1. I don't know much about this year I have always had 86 & 89s with 8 cylinders.Anyhow here is my question when you go to turn the key I don't here the fuel pump ingaging like I do on my 89,when you turn it over she wont start unless you put gas in carb ,is there a fuel pump fuse on this model ? Also do you have to drop the fuel tank to get to the fuel pump I know on my 89 is was a witch to get fuel tank dropped is it easier on the 92. Any and all help would be great I am clueless on 92s 6 cylinders so any input would be great.Or any thoughts why she isnt getting fuel other then what I am stating would be helpful also.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:47 AM

Re: Please Help 92 Firebird

Fuel tank is the same.
Have you tried changing the filter yet?
While you have it off, try turning the key to run with a drip pan under it, to see if it's pumping. If it quit you will know. But keep in mind if it's pumping you will want to check the fuel pressure.
Also yes you have a fuse and a relay.
Check both. Or you can check to see if you have power at the connection just in front of the tank for the pump.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:54 AM

Also yes you have a fuse and a relay? I have looked in the fuse panel nothing there, were is it located ? Also I don't want to sound dumb but were is the fuel filter on this car? Thank you
Old 10-09-2008, 09:58 AM

The fuse should be in the fuse panel. In the case that you don't know where the fuse is check them all.
You may find a bad one for something else.
Your filter should be just infront of the tank.
I am not sure where the relay is, but I think it's on the firewall on the drivers side or the driverside fender. Not sure about that one though.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:10 AM

The fuse should be in the fuse panel-I pulled every fuse nothing is wrong with none of them My Chiltons even shows NO fuse for the fule pump.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:21 AM

See if you have power to the wires going to the fuel pump.
If you get under the car, at the front of the tank, the wires will come out of the body of the car. The plug will be between that and the tank.
have someone turn the key on and see if you have power.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:38 AM

Car: '91 Camaro 305V8, '91 Camaro 3.1V6

Look in your Chilton's manual. In the section talking about the fuel pump it tells you what terminals to jumper together to send power to the fuel pump. These terminals I want to say are A and G on your data port (DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THIS. I'M JUST GOING FROM MEMORY). This is the rectangular plug right next to the fuse block.

I would explore ALL other avenues before jumping straight to the pump. If your pump is bad you are in a world of hurt if you plan on doing this yourself and do not have access to a lift. Or if you end up paying someone to do it. You have to drop the tank. This means dropping the rear exhaust and some rear suspension components. I was able to do it in my garage, but it was not fun

Last edited by OldCelica; 10-09-2008 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-09-2008, 10:47 AM

If you do a search in the fabrication section you will also find a very good thread about a trap door for the pump.
The only thing I would caution is when cutting the floor towards the front of the car or closest to the rear seat, be carful casue the fuel lines aren't to far under the body. Also if you choose to go this route you will have to cut the fuel lines to get the sending unit out. I would stagger the cuts. You can either get some rubber line, which is what I did, or reflare and connect them that way. That would be the best.
Search for fuel pump trap door or something similar and you will find it.
You may have to look thru a few, but their is a great one with pics.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:51 AM

No I do not have power at the plug end.Also there is No fuse marked for the fuel pump.The car is now jacked up so I am working with all responses as I type Thank You all.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:05 AM

Just to make sure did you check it with someone else turning the key?
If not it may have just taken to long to get under it to check.
You should have a fuse in the fuse panel. I have no idea which one it would be though.
You could try to trace the wires forward. Or see what color your chiltons says they should be and see if you can find them on the back of the fuse panel.
Either way you need to find out what is not letting power thru. Weather it be by tracing the wire from the tank forward or finding them at the front of the car.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:11 AM

Yes checked with someone turning key.I have checked every fuse all are good according to Chiltons book 92 has no fuel pump fuse.
Were would the relay be to the fuel pump and what is it I am looking for ballpark me I will find it if you explain what it maybe I am looking for.