Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

please help,car wont start nothing happens@ key turn(body to motor ground.)??????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008 | 10:23 PM

Car: 1992Firebird white
Engine: 305 TBI w/ holley open element
Transmission: automatic
Axle/Gears: i think 2.73 tell me if im rong
please help,car wont start nothing happens@ key turn(body to motor ground.)??????????

92 firebird
119k miles
new battery month ago, new alternator last week, new starter today.
runs great, trouble starting.

a tried to jump the selanoid whith ignition in the on position and all it did was roll the moter over.when i try w ith the key, nothing happens? the dash lights turn off also when key is turned but when you release they return to on, wich normally happens when it starts normal (just to explain more). what im asking is if the block to frame ground broke ir is coroded enough could this be a reason it wouldnt start. ((story->>-->))i had a 2001 plymouth neon and i thought the starter went so i, removed it, took it to the store and had them test it. it was good, went home and reinsalled it, and still wouldnt start, so in a frustrated stare at the motor i relized that the body to head ground was compleatly rotted away. long story short i fixed it w/ 4o amp wire and it started. <--------<<- could this be the same. if so were is the ground from the motor to body.

im only asking cus i cant just go outside and check myself, cus its not at my house its in some parking lot
Old 09-23-2008 | 04:57 PM

Car: 1992Firebird white
Engine: 305 TBI w/ holley open element
Transmission: automatic
Axle/Gears: i think 2.73 tell me if im rong
Re: please help,car wont start nothing happens@ key turn(body to motor ground.)??????

ok i ruled out the battery to block ground, found it and checked it. no problems. also when i went to go ceck that out today i hopped inside and tried to start it, guess what it started no problem. took it home no proplems on the way. got home turned it on and of a few times with no problems?? its done this a few times now, were it wont work then it will then repeate. i just want to fix it, so if any one could give me a clue as to what is rong i would love them. i havent checked the ground on the starter yet cus i have to barrow a floor jack from my boss. the ground to the starter should be fine but were does the other end lead too? i dont think thats an issue cus i can crank it over with a screw driver but not start it(like i said before) please help?

brad