Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Overheating. Engines worst nightmare....

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS/1989 Vert RS
Engine: 355/350
Transmission: T-5/T-5
Axle/Gears: BW9bolt3.45posi/3.23 Posi
Overheating. Engines worst nightmare....

Well before Saturday my car was running PERFECT. Well I went to a friends house doing nothing major, stupid or wreckless on my way there. I was even doing speed limit. Well I parked went inside and the neighbor came in and said your car is smoking so I'm like great....this is going to be bad. I go out lift the hood and the upper radiator hose blew so no big deal got on friends moped and ran to autozone real quick. We then flushed out the radiator and filled it up. I then later noticed that day it was getting to the bigger sized line near the red on the guage and it never got there before even in idle. By then I was already parked and shut off.... So I'm sitting there waiting for a friend and guy came to me and said my car was smoking. I was like great............... Lifted the hood and it was the overflow and the water was boiling in there... So I let it sit and drive it home. Yesterday I replaced the thermostat and gasket cause I thought maybe that was the problem. Today I drove it and when it was freezing out and it got to the same line on the guage after running for 15 minutes and I'm not sure if thats normal or not. Well not even 20 minutes ago I wasn't payiong attention and it was at 260. I freaked out and parked shut it down and turned the fan on. I walked home and here I am now. I am hoping it is the water pump and not the head gasket. What do you guys think. Remember I have NEVER had a problem with overheating since the radiator hose blew.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Banned
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 25th anv camaro rs
Engine: 305 tbi
Axle/Gears: 3.08s non posi
Re: Overheating. Engines worst nightmare....

ha its b/c you went the speed limit. not really but if you have a leak in the block or head, spell the exhaust. assuming you have anti-freeze in the system it will smell sweet if there is a leak. you can also pressure check the cylinders. actually how is the idle? how old is the car? how many miles on the engine?
Old 09-17-2008, 05:52 PM

Car: 1988 Firebird Formula WS6
Engine: LO3 305 tbi
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3gen housing zexel torsen posi 3.42

it could be your pressure cap (radiator cap) if its not pressurizing the system the water has a lower boiling point making the water gush out of your bottle. change that first.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by DARKmj16
ha its b/c you went the speed limit. not really but if you have a leak in the block or head, spell the exhaust. assuming you have anti-freeze in the system it will smell sweet if there is a leak. you can also pressure check the cylinders. actually how is the idle? how old is the car? how many miles on the engine?
The idle is iffy. Thats a problem I have been having with the car since I got it and even then the temp was REALLY cool. The car it self has about 130k miles and the engine has about 25k supposedly. Sometimes when put into reverse the idle will drop to about 400 then die. But when running warm idle is just above the 500 mark.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:44 PM

Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt posi disc 3:27's

Did you properly bleed out the cooling system? It sounds to me like you have air in the system. The first hose probably just blew due to age, after it blew and you replaced it, if you didn't bleed it, that would cause all of your problems. Fill the system, leave the radiator cap off and run the engine until the thermostat opens and sucks down the radiator. fill the radiator back up almost to top, let it run until it expands to the top. Then put the cap back on, top off the resevoir and you should be good to go.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:55 PM
Banned
TGO - 10 Year Member

hmm sounds like you have a vaccum leak, and over heating, when i had these problems i had a craked block...check the pressure of the cylinders, if one or more are off then look for a new motor. but try 85TAracer's idea first, sounds more reasonable, lol and cheaper
Old 09-17-2008, 08:07 PM

Oh yeah I forgot to add about the idle...DARKmj16 is probably right....sounds like a vacuum leak. CAREFULLY take a can of ether or carb cleaner and spray around all of the vac lines, elbows, and connections while the engine is at iidle. If the rpm drops, or the engine stalls, then you just found your leak. Replace the line and your gtg. Also look for dry rotted or cracked rubber vac lines....squeezing them helps to show cracks.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by 85TAracer
Did you properly bleed out the cooling system? It sounds to me like you have air in the system. The first hose probably just blew due to age, after it blew and you replaced it, if you didn't bleed it, that would cause all of your problems. Fill the system, leave the radiator cap off and run the engine until the thermostat opens and sucks down the radiator. fill the radiator back up almost to top, let it run until it expands to the top. Then put the cap back on, top off the resevoir and you should be good to go.
Thats how I did it.
Ok I have figured out that my water is disappearing out of no where. I checked the oil and it hasn't moved so it isn't mixing with the water and there is no smoke/water coming out of my exhaust so it's not head gasket.
The only vacuume line not hooked up is this one that is pictured.
Thanks for any help!!!
Attached Thumbnails Overheating. Engines worst nightmare....-camaro.jpg  
Old 09-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Banned
TGO - 10 Year Member

ok everyline should be hooked up or blocked, does it have a cap at the end? if not then thats probley gona solve your idle problem. and as for water disappearing, there is a leak somewhere. did you see any puddles that wherent there before you parked? if not im guess the heater core...and believe me you dont want that to be broken.

ok heads are good, but is the block? run the car, antifreeze wont alsways smoke, but it will smell sweet.

my next advice is to check the pressuer of the cylinders and the cooling system. autozone is freindly enough to help, or a shop can do them.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by DARKmj16
ok everyline should be hooked up or blocked, does it have a cap at the end? if not then thats probley gona solve your idle problem. and as for water disappearing, there is a leak somewhere. did you see any puddles that wherent there before you parked? if not im guess the heater core...and believe me you dont want that to be broken.

ok heads are good, but is the block? run the car, antifreeze wont alsways smoke, but it will smell sweet.

my next advice is to check the pressuer of the cylinders and the cooling system. autozone is freindly enough to help, or a shop can do them.
I cannot figure out where that line goes to maybe you can help me or someone? There are never any puddles cause that is what I thought. Than considered the radiator cap and replaced that today and still nothing. I am going to take the car in to Midas tomorrow they give a free pressure check so I'm hoping all goes well...........
Old 09-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Banned
TGO - 10 Year Member

make sure to get a cylinder compresion check, shouldnt cost much. and sorry the vaccum on the car is deffently not my strong point. but if you look at a haness(sp) manual, that would help. or just look for anyplace near the lengh of the tube for a hook up place. but if i remember my camaro v6, most of the tubeing was along the side by the brake booster and the end of the motor, also under that vaccum canister is ur horn, i think. lol does your horn work, or sounds dull?

and does your interior ever have a musky smell? like it might of rained in there, or does the passenger side floor ever look/feel wet?
Old 09-20-2008, 04:40 PM

The simplest way to fix the vacuum prob is to shove a bolt in the end of the line that fits it. Since it is disconnected its not doing anything but leaking. Pull up any floor mats on the pass side and feel all of the carpet in that area for moisture. If you are having this severe coolant loss and over heating it is probably not the core, but worth checking.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:03 AM

An update:
Head Gaskets were not blown.
Heads were not not cracked.
None of my gaskets are blown.
What now?
Old 09-28-2008, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by JTNKTZ
An update:
Head Gaskets were not blown.
Heads were not not cracked.
None of my gaskets are blown.
What now?
Bring
Up
My