Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

DESPERATELY NEED HELP FROM YOU EXPERIENCED TPI GUYS

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008 | 10:13 AM

DESPERATELY NEED HELP FROM YOU EXPERIENCED TPI GUYS

I have a 91 z28 with l98 when I bought the car it was stock other than

3.73 gears B&M ripper shifter, comp cams cam, freshly rebuilt w flat top pistons, moly rings and about 20k on the rebuilt motor. I decided it was time to have the top of the motor rebuilt

I got a bored polished plenum, got my intake manifold bored to match the bored polished runners. Also got thermaltake fan switch 160 degree thermostat,
an adjustable fuel pressure regulator,msd 6a, msd blaster coil, ngk plugs, msd 8mm wires, 30lb accel injectors and a 58mm bbk throttle body.
blaster coil, and a brand new bolt kit for the rebuild.

After I got the car back from the mechanic,
It doesnt have any power and it idles pretty high, and is running rich.
the mechanic put the fuel pressure at 40 psi

NOW im stuck with a car I can't drive, no transportation.
PLUS THE MECHANIC LEFT MY CAR UNLOCKED THE WHOLE TIME IT WAS THERE
SO THE SHIFTER **** FOR MY BM RIPPER SHIFTER WAS STOLEN AND MYH 1000CFM KN AIR FILTER WAS STOLEN.

I dont know where I went wrong. Did I buy too big of injectors
is the 58mm throttle body too big, do I need a custom prom for it to run okay?
Or do u think i have a bad iac? it was working fine before I brought the car to him.
I am really lost here as to whats to do any suggestions would be appreciated immensly.

thanks for your time,

Marcus
Old 09-02-2008 | 12:02 PM

Car: 87 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 Dana 3:73
Re: DESPERATELY NEED HELP FROM YOU EXPERIENCED TPI GUYS

Do you have check engine light on? I assume not or you would have said. R u sure there isnt a vacuume leak. your gonna need to give more info i think on when some of the changes were made such as throttle body etc. you said car was running fine b4 but hard to say without knowing more. R u sure your car is not over cooling. sounds like u need to not go back to the shop you had car at. that much I'm positive of
Old 09-02-2008 | 02:16 PM

Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 with B&M shift kit
Axle/Gears: 3.23 zexel 4th gen

I put 30lb injectors in my car and I had to turn the fuel pressure pretty much all the way down for it to work with them. My motor's top end and bottom end are all stock though so your engine might be able to use them. I don't have a link for you, but tpi parts sells a prom adapter chip that modifies the base setting on you ecm without needing a new prom. It cost like $75 to have it done. If I were you though, I would have a custom chip burnt for your computer because that is a whooollee lot of stuff to have had done without getting a new chip.
Old 09-03-2008 | 11:54 AM

Car: 1987 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6
Engine: SBC 350
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.70:1 BW M78 9-Bolt Posi

You're going to have to have your computer upgraded. Especially if you have a cam in it. I would have a new chip burned for it. The engine is not going to run correctly with all those mods if the computer isn't tuned for it.