Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

tbi starts fine then boggs down and dies.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tbi starts fine then boggs down and dies.

ok i have an 88 camaro with a 5.0 tbi. it has been running fine and the other morning i went to go to work and it started fine but then it bogged down and died. it won't stay started. it starts right up and then dies. any help would be great. i can keep it started by giving it gas but it still boggs down still just not enough to die.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: tbi starts fine then boggs down and dies.

I would encourage you to investigate the fuel pressure. Sounds just like inadequate fuel pressure meaning the fuel pump system might have a problem. Maybe just a pressure leak in the hose that connects the fuel pump to the hard line inside the tank. I had this type of problem two weeks ago and it was caused by a leak in the submersed hose that was 1.75 inches long.

When you turn your ignition from OFF to RUN (do not start the engine) can you hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds then stop? If so the pump is spinning but does not mean it is producing enough pressure at the injectors.

It could also be a dirty fuel filter and that is rather easy to change. But I have not heard of too many posts similar to yours where changing the fuel filter solved the problem. It is just something that can be tried first.

Last edited by CamaroRider; 09-01-2008 at 04:06 PM.