Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Complete R134a conversion, converting everything

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 03:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.45
Complete R134a conversion, converting everything

I'm in the process of fixing my A/C, and doing an R134 conversion. I'm not a huge fan of the screw-on R134 adapter fittings, and I'm wondering if there are any options for an accumulator and lines with R134a fittings already on them. I know the system on my 95 chevy truck is almost identical, and I'm wondering if any of it would interchange. I'm almost positive I could use the accumulator, but I'm not sure about the liquid line. It may fit, but it may be a little too long. I don't mean using the actual parts from my truck, but rather buying new parts for a 95 chevy truck, and using them on the GTA.

Also, I would like to replace the low and high pressure switches with R134a units if possible, since R134 runs at different pressures than R12. The high pressure one (mounted in the back of the compressor) is identical on my truck, so I can use one of those. The low pressure one (on the accumulator) on my truck has a different plug, so that won't work. However, O'Reilly's sells a stock replacement one meant for R134a, so I can use that. I will probably try either a variable orifice tube, or one for a 95' chevy truck also. I plan to replace all of the lines and o-rings with R134a compatible ones.

Has anyone tried anything like this before? Basically I'm trying to do the best R134 conversion possible, like it would have come factory.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 357cid
Transmission: T5 Swap
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 7.5" 3.23 soon to be 3.73
Re: Complete R134a conversion, converting everything

Originally Posted by Ward
I'm in the process of fixing my A/C, and doing an R134 conversion. I'm not a huge fan of the screw-on R134 adapter fittings, and I'm wondering if there are any options for an accumulator and lines with R134a fittings already on them. I know the system on my 95 chevy truck is almost identical, and I'm wondering if any of it would interchange. I'm almost positive I could use the accumulator, but I'm not sure about the liquid line. It may fit, but it may be a little too long. I don't mean using the actual parts from my truck, but rather buying new parts for a 95 chevy truck, and using them on the GTA.

Also, I would like to replace the low and high pressure switches with R134a units if possible, since R134 runs at different pressures than R12. The high pressure one (mounted in the back of the compressor) is identical on my truck, so I can use one of those. The low pressure one (on the accumulator) on my truck has a different plug, so that won't work. However, O'Reilly's sells a stock replacement one meant for R134a, so I can use that. I will probably try either a variable orifice tube, or one for a 95' chevy truck also. I plan to replace all of the lines and o-rings with R134a compatible ones.

Has anyone tried anything like this before? Basically I'm trying to do the best R134 conversion possible, like it would have come factory.
Cold Air ( a business here ) sells alot of R134 safe parts now a days so id see what you have local.

as far as doing it right the screw on caps work fine, you need to flush the r12 oil out of the system as well as change the compressor and the accumulator

Also go and get the green o rings, they are 134 safe.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:03 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Firebird, 1989 Vette, 1995 GP

I can tell you that when I was doing a lot of research on replacing my AC parts, NO ONE had any good dealings with the variable orifice tubes. I do not have any experience with them myself, just passing on what I read on several AC related forums.

Joel
Old 08-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.45

Originally Posted by joeld
I can tell you that when I was doing a lot of research on replacing my AC parts, NO ONE had any good dealings with the variable orifice tubes. I do not have any experience with them myself, just passing on what I read on several AC related forums.

Joel
Yeah, I had kind of read mix reviews, some people had good luck with them, others not so much. I may be better off trying to use the chevy truck orifice tube, since it's designed to work with R134. I'm not even sure if there's a difference between an R12 and R134 one, anyone know for sure?