Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car sometimes wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008 | 12:40 AM

Car sometimes wont start.

I have a 1991 formula firebird and maybe once a week when I go to start it nothing happens when I turn the key. All the lights on the dash comes on but nothing happens with the engine. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and it starts up just fine. Anyone know what the problem would be?
Old 08-24-2008 | 08:20 PM

Car: Mystifying 1989 TBI Camaro.
Engine: 1992 350 Truck Engine. TBI
Transmission: 700R4 when it wants to be.
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: Car sometimes wont start.

When my Camaro did this, I found it to be the VATS system not working correctly. It was actually the ignition switch where the resister makes contact, it wasn't making contact all the time. I once had called a tow truck because of it, but then it started while waiting and I drove it home. Of course I canceled the tow truck so they didn't go on a wild goose chase.

I didn't want to go through the trouble and expense of getting a new ignition switch and keys, so I simply took my multimeter and measured the resistance on the key and went to Radio Shack, bought some resisters that would equal the same resistance, soldered and taped it up and it's worked ever since.

Of course the car can be stolen much easier now.

I suppose it could be rigged to a hidden switch.
Old 08-25-2008 | 12:53 PM

Thanks Ill try this.
Old 08-27-2008 | 02:25 AM

i had the same probem except one of the 2 wires coming off of the ignition plate had worn itself apart on the tumbler, luckily i had enough wire left to splice
Old 08-27-2008 | 04:09 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers

Originally Posted by isk8
I have a 1991 formula firebird and maybe once a week when I go to start it nothing happens when I turn the key. All the lights on the dash comes on but nothing happens with the engine. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and it starts up just fine. Anyone know what the problem would be?
Is this after you've been driving for a while? If it is, then you're starter could be in the initial phases of showing heat soak. That happens when the solenoid gets too hot to turn over. If you've got headers, it's a good bet that this is what you're seeing. However, I would also check the other suggestions that you've gotten as well because it's a good idea never to rule anything out.
Old 08-27-2008 | 08:20 AM

I saw a recent post concerning the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS). If the ECM is being told the car is not in PARK or NEUTRAL (I think) then the car is not permitted to start. Maybe you can 'play' with the gearshift handle when you experience the problem and see if the car successfully starts.
Old 08-27-2008 | 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ozz1967
Is this after you've been driving for a while? If it is, then you're starter could be in the initial phases of showing heat soak. That happens when the solenoid gets too hot to turn over. If you've got headers, it's a good bet that this is what you're seeing. However, I would also check the other suggestions that you've gotten as well because it's a good idea never to rule anything out.
No. The last time it happened it sat for 2 hours then the time before that it sat overnight.

Too Camarorider, I was thinking about that as well but playing with the gears didn't help