Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

No Oil Pressure...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Oil Pressure...Help!

I have a 1986 Firebird, its the 2.8 V6, and i bought it from a guy who did not take care of it at all.

Heres my problem. my oil pressure gauge stays at 0 at idle, but when i rev the car, the oil pressure goes up. Most of the time it only goes up barely out of the red zone, but every once in awile it will shoot up to 40 (half way).

I dont have any oil leaks or anything, but alot of smoke pours out of the exhaust when i start it up cold, and it takes about 5-7 seconds to start up cold, it doesnt start up right away

Im thinking it could be the oil pressure sensor, because the gauge fluctuates so much, but could it also be the screen or pump?

Any ideas, Please help!!
Old 08-23-2008, 01:11 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Z28
Engine: L69 305 H.O.
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: No Oil Pressure...Help!

What color is the smoke? does it go away or just keep on smokin? Does it smoke when you accelerate? Does the gauge bounce on it's own or fluctuate with the accelerator? Probably the sending unit if it runs O.K. Could also be the gauge. Ever have the needle off? But because it usually runs in the red but sometimes bounces up to 40 then I'm guessing sending unit.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:16 AM

The Smoke is white, and it only comes out when i first start it up cold, then goes away, but right after i start it and i give it a good rev, it smokes alot, but every time i rev it after that, no smoke comes out, i left it running for 20 minutes and it didnt knock or anything, i tried lucas oil stabilizer and that did nothing.

What do you mean have i ever had the needle off?
Old 08-23-2008, 10:26 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 357cid
Transmission: T5 Swap
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 7.5" 3.23 soon to be 3.73

Originally Posted by frostyboy56
The Smoke is white, and it only comes out when i first start it up cold, then goes away, but right after i start it and i give it a good rev, it smokes alot, but every time i rev it after that, no smoke comes out, i left it running for 20 minutes and it didnt knock or anything, i tried lucas oil stabilizer and that did nothing.

What do you mean have i ever had the needle off?
not to assure you of anything but it sounds like the gauge and sender are working fine and you just plain have low psi.

The operating "safe" normal for GM is 5psi at temp. What oil type are you using.

For the record i drove a knocking 305 that had low PSI for like 3 years beating on it. did the main and rod bearings and same issue. I think it was the cam bearings making noise but pulled it for my 350