Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

90 Rs Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008 | 01:22 AM

Car: 90 RS
Engine: LT-1 350
Transmission: Auto 700R-4
90 Rs Won't Start

Hey everyone,

First of all I want to apologize for this being so long but I thought I needed you to know the full story in order to get the best help. I really would like to get my car running so if you could please read and provide any knowledge that you can.

I just bought a 1990 RS about two months ago. The previous owner dropped a 1985 5.7 350 cu. in her with a 4 barrel edelbrock carb. in order to give this car more power. I had no problems starting the car when I first got it. My pops came up to help me fix a few cosmetic things as well as shimming the starter and working on the ignition. The thing with the ignition was that the guy who owned it before put in toggle start in her. The key had to be put in the ignition and turned on in order to send power to the switch, then you push up the toggle and the car would start. My pops and I wanted to get the car back to where it would start with just the key. We pulled the steering wheel to check the locking cylinder and then dropped the steering column down to check the wiring under there. We decided that we needed more time to think about it. We then took it for a drive after getting it all back together and after about a 30 minute drive the car just gave out. We got it back to the house but really didn't have a lot of time to check things (my pops had to go back home which is 2 hours away). Since then she has started once but after shutting her off she won't start anymore (about a week) I've checked the fuel filter, and fuel pump which are just fine. I have also looked a the plug wires, which look clean but have not tested them for spark. I have also taken a look at the distributor which look good but haven't checked it thoroughly. The battery also dies overnight now. I've looked throughout this message board but haven't found anything that can help. My pops hasn't been able to come back and has suggested that I try to see if the plugs are getting spark and we're thinking that maybe we severed a wire up under the steering column, which has caused this problem. Please let me know what you all think.. I'd really like to get my baby running again!!
Old 08-12-2008 | 12:16 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73
Re: 90 Rs Won't Start

I'd be inclined to agree it's a severed wire under the column, or something along those lines.
Auto or manual car?
When you turn the key over to crank it, what happens? absolutely nothing? cranks but won't catch and fire? etc?
Old 08-12-2008 | 04:11 PM

It's an automatic and the toggle switch seems to be bypassed from the switch to the battery then to the starter itself. When you turn the key to the on position then flip the swith it cranks and cranks but never does fire up. I'm hopefully going to take the column down tonight and scope around.
Old 08-14-2008 | 08:54 PM

Just wanted to let you know I got her started up today. I pulled down the steering column, and couldn't see any wires that were messed up but the harness that hooks to the ignition switch itself was loose, I'm hoping that was the problem. Thanks for you insight.