Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Fuel Pump and FPR advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump and FPR advice

I am replacing my stock fuel line with braided line and adding an hsr. i need advice for fuel pump and apfr, cut stock line just out of the sending unit, get a replacement stock pump, or run an inline pump? would an inline pump require getting rid of the intank pump? for an apfr do i need a return style regulator? what is the benefit of return style? i am running -6AN line in and return. if this should be in a different area, mods, please move it. thanks.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears
Re: Fuel Pump and FPR advice

your making this more troublesum then u need too... its easy... the HSR is a dirrect bolt in if u have a TPI. u bolt it on. u need the HSR fuel rails and AFPR kit... i would opp for the adjustable bc your gona need it. or get the non adjustable and upgrade the regualtor like a KIRBAN unit which is alot better since alot of ppl have probs with holleys regulator that comes with the kit.

the fuel rail kit comes with fittings.... u can run rubber line to the stock hard line or since u have -6an braided u can run the -6an off the rear of the fuel rails into a -6an to hose fitting and thats it...

as far as the fuel pump... why are u sticking stock back in??? its almost just as expensive to upgrade to a 255lph walbro pump and get more fuel bc ur prob gona need it depending on ur setup. you would get a stock replacement intank fuel pump... no need for an inline since your car is already setup for an intake why go throught the hassel... and the 255lph pump is double that of stock so its able to support over 600hp. dont make it harder on urself by trying to change things if u dont need it.

the fuel rails for the HSR has the in line goin into the regualtor and the return line off the other fuel rail... u will need both lines... the return line should be no smaller than 5/16... preferbly the same size as the line goin in.

my dad just ordered a 255lph walbro pump... its 89$ + 10$ shipping. from jdsperformance.com
part # GSS307 its a 255lph for 86-92 firebird/camaro
Old 07-31-2008, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any idea who carries the kirban regulator? i know summit doesnt. any advice on a fuel filter? i have the 9 dollar one from autozone. at what point do you have to upgrade it? im running -6 for the return and feed. ill just cut the fuel lines next to the sending unit then.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears

got the kirban 6547 from JDSperformance.com as well... its 100$ or 117 i think.

the stock filter is more than fine for flowing... it flows 90gph... which is more than enough for the pumps.