Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Lifting the motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 305 LB9
Transmission: T5
Lifting the motor

Just a quick one here. I am set to replace my leaking oil pan gasket (305 TPI, T5). The car is in the air (on a kwiklift) and I have removed everything down to the back of the motor, plus the starter and y-pipe. I have a nice clear view of the pan bolts and I'm ready to go. My plan is to boost the motor from below and support it with blocks on the mounts since I'm not sure I have enough room to get the hoist neck in the garage with the car on the kwiklift. I've seen advice to push up from the front and other advice to push from the back part (flat surface) of the oil pan. The center bridge of the lift will fit under the pan and provide a nice spot for the bottle jack (and wood) to lift from behind the k-member. Question is: Will the motor lift straight up from here? Moreso from the front, the physics of it seem to suggest the motor will just tilt back as the jack pushes up from the crank. Will it not just push forward if I lift from the back of the oil pan? Thanks.

Kevin
Old 07-29-2008, 10:30 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 7.5 inch 342
Re: Lifting the motor

Will go straight up untill the trans hits the trans tunnel.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:30 PM

Car: 86Z/92 RS Camaro
Engine: 357 vortec finished. need tuning
Transmission: Still works
Axle/Gears: need 3.73

May want to remove the distributor if you plan to lift the engine slightly. The worst case senerio would be you break the dizzy cap if it's left in place.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:06 PM

Transmission is already out. Does that throw off the balance lifting from the pan behind the k-member?

I will remove at least the cap, if not the dizzy altogether. I am also going to do the valve seals, so I will be removing all the A/C stuff and whatever else is in the way. All new hoses and belt. I'll probably change the starter also while its out (I don't know how old it is, but I've had the car for 6 years already).

I've learned the hard way to just get the stuff out of the way and work peacefully and change wear and tear parts when I have access to them rather than trying to cut corners.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:20 PM

Car: 82' z28/03' eddie bauer explorer
Engine: 355-395hp/4.6v8
Transmission: Built 700R4/5speed auto 4x4
Axle/Gears: 3.42LSD/3.73

if the trans is already out and your removing all that stuff anyway you may as well pull the motor out too it'll be much easier to work on the under neath of these cars is a cluster
Old 07-30-2008, 06:45 PM

Car: 1991 RS Vert
Engine: LO3, 305, TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I've been looking at the Kwiklift. I think it would be perfect for my setup.

Anyway, I just did my valve seals and pulled the intake to do the intake gaskets as well.

You're right, you will be removing a bunch of stuff to get at everything.

I agree with Mario above. Once you pull the top end off to get to everything, you might as well yank the engine.

As I understand it with the Kwiklift, there is a way to get the runways flat on the ground.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:57 AM

I'm just not sure if I can get enough lift from the hoist with the car on the kwiklift. I'll give it a shot, though. I would really like to work on the motor with it on an engine stand. But I'm sure I'll then run into whether or not to drop in a bigger mill being the 305 is already out. It never ends.

I got my kwiklift, put it together myself (in an hour or so) and backed the GTA up on it and started working. The key to the whole thing is your jack (fitting the jack under the lifting bar and have it have enough lifting height to fold out the legs). I'm not yet sure how I'm going to deal with it once I am done with the work. I could lie it flat and park on it. Or I can pull it up and lift it for regular storage. That'll make it a pain when I want to drive it. So far, it seems to be a very good purchase. Working with the car in the air (safely) with the limited space of my garage has been infinitely more relaxing since I can roll under there and not feel claustrophobic or like the car is about to fall on me.