Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

383 stroker planning session plz help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008 | 10:09 PM

Car: 87 Monte Carlo SS
Engine: 89 IROC 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 rebuilt w/TCI kit
Axle/Gears: 9" from 57 ranchero unsure gears.
383 stroker planning session plz help!

Ok Ive been digging through the pages here looking for info on building a stroker and Im still looking for some answers. What I have now is stock 89 L98 with the vette allum 58CC raised D port heads with 1.6 RR, highly ported SLP TPI, 700 thats been beefed up a bit but still mostly stock. For 9" rear end what will end up with a mid 3.50 rear +/-.25. So my questions are:

Whats a good cam that will allow for daily driving and not require a different stall torque converter(cant afford the T56 yet/or ever).

What issues has anyone ran into with building a stroker, what kits have you had best luck with? Ive read that the SCAT kits are having problems with bad cranks true/false?

For a street car which may hit the track from time to time but wont ever get NOS or a supercharger or anything like that is a forged bottom end overkill?

How much help do you get out of ceramicoating the heads and pistons?

And the question that may get this kicked out of this board, what kind of tuning issues did you run into, not asking how you reprogrammed the PROM but just in general on the engine tuning issues?

Im very seriously considering this since I just pulled the engine/trans to go back and clean up and fix some bad wiring and other issues that have been overlooked for years!

Thanks in advance.