Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

vats fixed still interminnet start

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008 | 04:57 PM

Car: 92 rs ,2000 a6 2.7t
Engine: 355 carbed,twin turbo v6
Transmission: 700r4
vats fixed still interminnet start

sorry for the long explanation but i want to get it all in

soo ive been having problems with the vats system and it ended up being a broken wire to the lock cylinder so i fixed that and over the passed week its been giving me trouble again not wanting to start but if i walk away for a half hour or so and come back most of the time it would start.security light would not go off so i knew it was vats related. today its all screwd up very hot day today went to go to work this morning and no start so i walk a way for a few come back a wala its starts got to work, go to leave no start again security lite on after a few it finally starts while on the highway she dies pull off the highway and try to start her back up and nothing but this time the security light turns off after 5 sec but still not starting cranked it a few times and it would start to crank for like a sec then stop but then it started after a few tries died again few seconds down the road but started right back up got it home shut it off ..but it wont turn back on again ..wtf electrical gremlins,ecu ? oh and the vats connector under the dash reads the correct ohms with the key in the ignition?
Old 07-17-2008 | 06:21 PM

Re: vats fixed still interminnet start

so i thought it still might be the lock cylinder so i soldered a resistor togeather and put it in the connector and she started so i pulled out of the drive way mash the gas and bam she dies. starts right back up though drive for a few with no problems but get her home shut it off and no start again?
Old 07-18-2008 | 09:48 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 4BBL
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by carmodder
... it would start to crank for like a sec then stop...
...died again few seconds down the road but started right back up got it home shut it off...
This sounds like a bad connection more than a VATS issue. Once the engine is running the VATS will not turn it off if it (VATS) has a problem. It will just turn on the "security" light. The owners manual says if it comes on while driving, do not turn off the engine until you are at a dealer.
Check battery connections, cable connections, ground wires (block to frame and the bundle at the back of the D/S cyl. head) and the fuse links at the starter. I bet you find a gremlin.
Old 07-19-2008 | 08:52 AM

ill be sure to check those but the car has been starting fine for the past few days with no problems
Old 07-19-2008 | 04:19 PM

ok so i replaced the ignition module and the ignition coil car ran smoother with a nice idle didnt stall but didnt drive her hard either but got home and bam wont start again so i jump the starter and bam she starts right up shut off let sit for 10 mins and she starts fine with the key again.. so im gonna relocate the starter selonoid and hope thats the problem
Old 07-20-2008 | 06:28 PM

so i put in a remote selonoid from a tbi mustang part #f492 $10 from the parts store a new battery cable and a push button. the car still doesnt like to start with a key when its hot out but starts fine with the button.so im assuming the igniton switch is shot or mis adjusted. the car was still stalling but i found a dry rotted hose that goes to the egr valve and to what i belive is the evap canister and fixed that. also i advanced the timing 2* and so far its been running fine ..ill keep updating
Old 07-21-2008 | 09:48 PM

car broke down on me today the ignition switch is shot thats why the car kept shutting off it was fried no parts store has it so i got to get a new one tommorrow and hope thats all i have to do car ran alot better besides the shutting off and breaking down