Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Serpentine Smog Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008 | 10:36 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers
Serpentine Smog Pictures

Hey everyone,

I'm to the point now where I have to decide if I want to put my serpentine set up on or not...the only question I have is on the smog stuff. Does anyone have any "good" pictures of how their smog gear is installed so I could see it with my own eyes? On my 84 T/A, my diverter valve (the things that sit on the passenger side, divert air to the cat etc) have both electrical connections AND vacuum lines going to them. The new ones I recieved have only the electrical connections, and to top it off the connectors are a different type. If you guys have any info on these I would greatly appreciate it because if I can't get the smog stuff running, I can't use the serpentine. And I really want to. Thanks again!
Old 06-30-2008 | 02:23 AM
25 Year Member

Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73
Re: Serpentine Smog Pictures

I can tell you how it looks on my '91 serpentine setup. There is a metal tube under the diverter valve that goes to the air pump. One rubber line from the diverter valve goes to a plastic T, that goes to the passenger side AIR tubes to the manifolds, and to another rubber line that goes around the back of the engine to the driver's side manifold. The other rubber line on the diverter valve goes to a metal line that goes down the back of the engine to the catalytic converter. Sorry I couldnt find my pics.
Old 06-30-2008 | 07:16 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers
Re: Serpentine Smog Pictures

Originally Posted by Kevin91Z
I can tell you how it looks on my '91 serpentine setup. There is a metal tube under the diverter valve that goes to the air pump. One rubber line from the diverter valve goes to a plastic T, that goes to the passenger side AIR tubes to the manifolds, and to another rubber line that goes around the back of the engine to the driver's side manifold. The other rubber line on the diverter valve goes to a metal line that goes down the back of the engine to the catalytic converter. Sorry I couldnt find my pics.
Thanks, that brings back memories of putting my headers on...now I have a mental picture of how the large tubes go. I appreciate it. You don't hpapen to have any vaccum tubes going to the diverter valves from your intake/carb set up? On my 84 I had vacuum lines going from the carb to the diverter valves....while I think I remember how they go, there aren't any to be had on the new smog stuff...and I'm not sure if I need them or not though I am pretty sure I do...but maybe the newer stuff from the 88 (year of the serpentine set up) doesn't need them?