Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

cant install replacement steering column

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0l TBI
Transmission: 700r4
cant install replacement steering column

so i got a used steering column with keys and vats from a 91 camaro 305 tbi auto to put in my 92 camaro 305 tbi auto. for some reason the new column is not lining up. the original is straight on, the two bolt holes on the middle line up with the triangle firewall mount. in the replacement column, the triangle piece is turned like 40 degrees. when i try to install it and line up the bolt holes for the triangle, the middle two bolt holes are angled down 40 degress towards the ground.

the triangle piece is welded to the lower column housing. seems like the lower column and upper column are separate and slide into each other with a gasket. seems to me like it might be possible to turn the housing. ive tried to but could not budge it. im thinking theres something in the top housing that locks it into place. while i do this the key is in the ignition set to on and the shaft is free to spin. anyone have any idea how to turn it?
Old 06-19-2008, 08:54 AM

Re: cant install replacement steering column

please help! maybe someone at least has a diagram of the inner workings of a steering column?
Old 06-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I'd just install the column with the 3 lower bolts to the firewall, then use that to twist the upper column into place. It obviously pivoted at some point in its life, it'll want to pivot back.

good luck

-jason
Old 06-19-2008, 04:09 PM

alright ill try that. first i need to finish replacing the wheel bearing on my avalanche so i have a car to drive to work. thanks
Old 06-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

oh, and perhaps post this in the 'interior' forum. Might get more help there.

-jason
Old 06-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

any update????
Old 06-24-2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jaysz28
any update????
not yet. just got the avalanche all fixed and will work on the camaro when i get a chance. work has been really busy lately it sucks.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

trust me, being busy at work is not a bad thing in this day and age.....

-jason
Old 07-07-2008, 04:58 PM

well i tried but no luck. installed it with a couple bolts on the firewall and tried with all my might to turn it. even broke the aluminum on the tab while trying to pry with a screwdriver. one thing i did notice is i cannot find the old vats module for the life of me. cant find any wires to plug it into either (the module or the orange wire from the steering column.
----------
also i found this ecm looking box by where the ecm goes. has part# 1228874 on it. not sure what it is? it looks like a small ecm, has a 12 wire plug plugged in.

Last edited by hourang; 07-07-2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-08-2008, 09:10 PM

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: L03 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Removal & Installation

The front of the dash mounting plates must be loosened whenever the steering column is to be lowered from the instrument panel.
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. On 1990-92 vehicles, disable the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system as follows:
    1. Turn the steering wheel so the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight-ahead.
      The wheels of the vehicle must be in the straight-ahead position and the steering column in the locked position before proceeding with steering column removal. Failure to follow this procedure will cause the SIR coil to become uncentered, resulting in damage to the coil assembly.
    2. Remove the SIR fuse from the fuse block.
    3. Remove the left sound insulator by removing the nut from the stud and gently prying the insulator from the knee bolster.
    4. Disconnect the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) and yellow 2-way SIR harness connector at the base of the steering column.
  3. Remove the nut and bolt from the upper intermediate shaft coupling. Separate the coupling from the lower end of the steering column.
  4. Remove the steering wheel, if the column is to be replaced or repaired on the bench.
  5. Remove the knee bolster and bracket, if equipped.
  6. Remove the bolts attaching the toe plate to the cowl.
  7. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
  8. Remove the capsule nuts attaching the steering column support bracket to the instrument panel.
  9. Disconnect the park lock cable from the ignition switch inhibitor, if equipped with automatic transmission.
  10. Remove the steering column from the vehicle.
To install:
If a replacement steering column is being installed, do not remove the anti-rotation pin until after the steering column has been connected to the steering gear. Removing the anti-rotation pin before the steering column is connected to the steering gear may damage the SIR coil assembly.
  1. Position the steering column in the vehicle.
  2. Connect the park lock cable to the ignition switch inhibitor on vehicles with automatic transmission.
  3. Install the capsule nuts attaching the steering column support bracket to the instrument panel and tighten to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
  4. Install the nut and bolt to the upper intermediate shaft coupling attaching the upper intermediate shaft to the steering column. Tighten the nut to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm).
  5. Install the bolts attaching the toe plate to the cowl and tighten to 58 inch lbs. (6.5 Nm).
  6. Connect the electrical connectors.
  7. Remove the anti-rotation pin if a service replacement steering column is being installed.
  8. Install the knee bolster and bracket, if equipped.
  9. Install the sound insulator panel.
If SIR coil has become uncentered by turning of the steering wheel without the column connected to the steering gear, follow the proper adjustment procedure for the SIR coil assembly before proceeding.
  1. Install the steering wheel.
  2. Connect the negative battery cable.
  3. Enable the SIR system as follows:
    1. Connect the yellow 2-way SIR harness connector to the base of the steering column and CPA clip and install the SIR fuse.
    2. Install the left sound insulator.
    3. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position and verify that the inflatable restraint indicator flashes 7-9 times and then turns OFF. If the indicator does not respond as stated, a problem within the SIR system is indicated.
Above is taken from the Chiltons manual. No pix were shown.

The box over by the ECM, with the yellow plug... Thats for the air bag or SRS system. The VATS module is off to the right of the steering column if you are siting in the drivers seat. It's pretty high up inside the dash. The 2 wires in the orange case from the column plug into a connector with white/black purple/black wires going to it.

If you could post some better pix of the triangle plate that mounts to the firewall it might help out in the diagnosis some too.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:38 PM

where is the anti rotation pin? i can turn the steering gear no problem with the key in the run position so i assume this pin is not there.ill look up as high as i can for the vats but it seems like that orange 2pin plug on the steering column has nothing within reach to plug into. ill see if i can take some more pics, maybe ill put it back in there and show you exactly what im talking about, wish i woulda taken a pic when i was trying to put it in.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:05 AM

ok well i think im just gonna have to stick with my old column and move all the plastic and lock cylinder over to it. how do i do this? seems like theres a snap ring holding the coil in place so i need snap ring pliers but i wanted to know what else i might need.

also, i cant find the vats module anywhere. i even layed upside down with my head under the dash and couldnt find it, nor can i find anywhere for the two wire vats wire coming from the column to plug into. im thinking the previous owner removed all the vats module stuff in an attempt to bypass it. but i want to know the exact location of the module just in case. so far in a search all i could find was a firebird diagram and i looked there and didnt see nothing resembling the diagram.

also, what are my options and cost of disabling the vats in the computer? how much would someone charge to reburn my chip with no vats? or whats the cheapest burner setup i can get just for this purpose? i already have a laptop.

thanks for any help.