Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Code 41 and No Spark at Coil

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Firebird
Engine: 305 V8 HO
Code 41 and No Spark at Coil

Hey, I'm getting a code 41 on SES Light when played back and no spark at the coil. I changed out the coil but still no start. I'm getting fuel and it does turn over. It is a 87 Pont FB with Carb "H" VIN Code, 305. It ran last year before I put it up for the winter but ran poorly. I've checked all the connections to the distrib and coil and all are secure. Any ideas why no spark and any places to look? I heard I could disconnect the ECM and get it into "limp home Mode" to see it might be related to the ECM.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:38 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Welcome aboard thirdgen.org.

Code 41 means the ECM isn't seeing the signal from the distributor. It will set that code when you disconnect the ECM wire and run the engine. If you're getting that with the wire hooked up, it very well could mean the distributor isn't doing its job.

Make sure you have 12 volts to the coil. If you do, then you've probably got a bad distributor component, the ignition module being the typical culprit, although the reluctor wheel could also cause a problem.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:27 PM

Re: Code 41 and No Spark at Coil

Thanks for that info. I do get 12+ at the Coil both in run position and while cranking. The light on the tester goes deem when cranking. Now I replaced the Ignition module under the Distr, but still no spark coming off the coil. Any other places I could look or test? And can I remove the reluctor wheel without pulling the Distr out? This is not an HEI the coil is off of the intake.

Last edited by Phoenix2k; 06-17-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:32 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
No, you have to remove and disassemble the distributor to replace the reluctor.

Module, pick-up coil, reluctor, all known failure points.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:25 AM

Ok I replaced the ignition module, the coil and now I've replaced the complete distributor still no spark at the coil. Anyone anyone have any idea where I can look now? Please else I have to have it towed to a service station and just the tow will cost $100+.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:15 AM

Car: 1984 T/A WS6
Engine: L69 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: fact G80 with GT4 3.73

did u ever get this fixxed??
i am in the same boat with my 84. code 41. and i have a new cap,rotor,coil,plugs and wires. i do have to check the gaps of my plugs and test for power @ the coil. just wandering how u made out.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:35 AM

no, I replace or had tested the coil, spark control, ignition module, I even replaced the distr with another one and still nothing. I currently have a new ECM coming shortly and that would be the last part that it could be. I get 12v+ at the coil both with the ignition in the on position and when it's cranked but still no spark from the coil. The plugs and distrb cap and rotor are also new. One thing you should check is just make sure the distr rotor is turning, because if the timing chain is out that would be an issue. This is a mind blower and you would think others here have run into this same problem like us, but no one has jump in to give any further advise.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:46 PM

Car: 88 firebird
Engine: 305
Transmission: auto

i have this same problem with out the code. I have also replaced the ignition module, coil, cap, plug, wires. But still no spark. the thing that kills me is this car ran just fine about a year ago. He seat and when i tryed to start it, there was nothing. I would guess it would be the computer. But throwing unneed parts at this car is getting old. Did U ever fix this problem?
Old 08-29-2008, 06:34 AM

Oh I so hear you. This has been and still is strange. You would think the experts here on this forum would have run into this many times. I can see already that three of us have had the same problem. I did replace my computer and it still has no spark from the coil. If you have the same model I will sell you the ECM (at a killer price) I have that is now known as good as it didn't fix the problem either. You know I think just one person on this forum will say something like (and I know this isn't it just an example) did you check the wire from the knock sensor, or did you check this and that will be the fix.

Ok, so where are you out there that can really help some Third Gen owners on this one. And hey who knows they may even write a Tech Article on it and you will get your name in print.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but if I do stumble across the answer I will make sure to post it.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:28 AM

I swapped out the computer from a buddys running car last nite. Nothing...im going to swap put the distibutor sunday and see if its that. If that doesnt work im going to swap the manafold, carb, distibutor with aftermarket ones that wont need the computer(old school)
Old 08-29-2008, 02:21 PM

Now I assume you fellows have verified that you have excellent grounds ... with all of those new parts replaced (WOW) you would thing you would at least 'stumble' onto the answer !!! One thing in common is the requirement for excellent ground connections throughout (frame, chassis, motor, cable connections, smaller wire connections).

Especially those that have had their autos parked for an extended period of time. A ground connection could become bad in storage or when replacing parts.

I can see one thing missing. We do not have a checklist with voltages and currents that starts at component A and moves through to component Z that allows each component to be checked off a 'working' in the order that it is used by the ignition system.

This is the same type of problem I see where people are stating their fuel injectors are 'not firing'. I do not see a checklist that one can go down making sure each requirement is present to cause the fuel injectors to fire. A lot of cures are 'hit and miss'. Once the problem is solved people just go on with their lives instead of preparing a check list for the next problem in the same area.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:20 PM

Ok so i pulled the distubutor out and swaped it with the one from my friends and it fired right up. Ran great.

Thanks for the help

dannie